THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Hanging on by a thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
LOL, yea, the truth is I was trying to beat off lefty and it went horribly wrong The doctor told me that this was a rare injury...

Besides permanently losing strength and range of motion, they would have cut through my tattoos which would have never been the same again!

Man, it really sucks when I get an itch that I can't reach! ...
I knew that was how u did it.

So does that mean it was a rare injury from spankin it?!?

An itch u can't reach? How bout when u gotta wipe?
OK, I'm done now.

My 2 ealier replies were w/. my phone, sure is a lot easier w/. a fullsize computer screen.

Originally Posted by budhayes3
... I doubt that she'll draw skulls, spiders, pirates, etc. like I have under the cast though Wonder how I'll look with flowers, fairies, and butterflies!
You'd look the same...

Originally Posted by dmelvin
... hears a loud pop and instantly loses all strength in his arm. A year later, he finally goes to the doctor, they say he tore that tendon, and that he'll need surgery to fix it, he says he'll try to get along without surgery.

2 months ago he goes in for the surgery to fix it. It wasn't the tendon that ripped, his rotater cuff is completely destroyed on the front side of the shoulder, and it had folded over, causing the slack that they saw in the MRI of the tendon.

His "tendonitis" was minor tears in the rotater cuff, the pop that he heard was him shreading it, looking at the pictures from the surgery, it looks like the inside of cotton candy machine.
dmelvin, your story makes me wonder about my bro complaining of tendonitis flareups. He used to push it real hard working out & just works hard in general. He works 2 full jobs at 50 yrs. old. His work ethic is incredible.

I've had shoulder issues & it always seems like from time to time, I get a pull. Quite some time ago (yrs. ago), I worked out. As soon as I'd resume workin out, makin progress, my shoulder work get hurt. Then set me back. As I rotate my shoulder upward, it kinda rolls & pops. Once I get past a certain range of motion after that "pop", it's OK. So, I minimize that but my work kinda stresses my shoulders constantly. I think it all stemmed from a job I had yrs. ago. I think it did my shoulders in, & I believe I'll have (worse) problems as I get older.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that's got me wondering about my shoulder. Back in high school I got to were I needed a week before I could pitch again and my coached had me pitch too soon and the pain got so bad I could barely get the ball to the catcher. Ever since I can't throw anything with out my shoulder hurting. It still bothers me today and there's days it will flare up and I can't raise my arm above shoulder high..
Old 01-23-2011, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

dmelvin, your story makes me wonder about my bro complaining of tendonitis flareups. He used to push it real hard working out & just works hard in general. He works 2 full jobs at 50 yrs. old. His work ethic is incredible.

I've had shoulder issues & it always seems like from time to time, I get a pull. Quite some time ago (yrs. ago), I worked out. As soon as I'd resume workin out, makin progress, my shoulder work get hurt. Then set me back. As I rotate my shoulder upward, it kinda rolls & pops. Once I get past a certain range of motion after that "pop", it's OK. So, I minimize that but my work kinda stresses my shoulders constantly. I think it all stemmed from a job I had yrs. ago. I think it did my shoulders in, & I believe I'll have (worse) problems as I get older.
My dad is the same way with his work ethic... he's getting ready to start running the wreckers again, he hates not being able to do all his jobs, he runs a trucking company, has a flatbed, 12 ton, and 25 ton wrecker, opened a carwash last year ... he's just not satisfied if he's not busy it seems.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:31 AM

Get well soon buddy!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
Now that's got me wondering about my shoulder. ... Ever since I can't throw anything with out my shoulder hurting. It still bothers me today and there's days it will flare up and I can't raise my arm above shoulder high..
I'm not tryin to jack your thread Billy, but... :nunchuk1:

Tyler, when I reach that painful point (it's not at all time botherin me cause I minimize that range of motion), it's right as my arm (both arms but I think 1 is a lil worse) goes above shoulder height.

Picture this, if you've ever done a military press workin out. Start at lowermost position closest to your shoulders, & as u press weight toward ceiling, a point is reached where it seemssomethin in shoulder(s) has to glide off or pop off the other muscle. Soon after that "gliding off" point occurs, I'm good again. Return the weight back down (reachin same point in motion range) & it has to "glide off" then it's fine.

If u can visualize it, you'll figure it out.

dmelvin, your Dad's a real go-getter.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had surgery on my right bicep tendon almost a year and half ago. There's two sets apparently, the main one and a smaller one that is berried inside the shoulder. Mine of of course was the one inside the shoulder. It was torn and split into. Has hurt for years. Just got worse as my kids get older (I have to play harder to keep up with them as they get older) They had to staple it to the bone. I haven't fully recovered.

JUST ripped my left shoulder during hunting season. It has been a tad weak and painful in certain positions and I was drunk (all stories start this way for me these days) and I decided I could wrestle my friend who is an amateur UFC fighter, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the whole nine yards...yeh he put me in submission and when I flipped around to grab my balance...apparently that is a trained move he puts you, he KNOWS you are going to flip for balance...he turned and slammed me using my own force with my left arm sticking straight up beside my face. RIIIIIIIP. Once I finished my addition I'll get it fixed. LOL

Point of my stories, man I feel for ya being restricted. I wasn't in cast for mine, but I wasn't allowed to do anything with mine for 6 weeks after surgery. Then for 2 months I was only allowed to do small therapy work outs which basically amounted to massages. Do what they say!! And if you do get surgery, listen to them, they have it down to a science concerning scar tissue and the physical therapy. Hope yours heals without surgery. Eat protein!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:03 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince B
Get well soon buddy!
Thanks Vince...that's the plan lol

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I'm not tryin to jack your thread Billy, but...
No worries my brother, hey if anyone can get something positive from this thread, and maybe go to the doctor to get an injury checked out before it gets worse, that's great!

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Had surgery on my right bicep tendon almost a year and half ago. There's two sets apparently, the main one and a smaller one that is berried inside the shoulder. Mine of of course was the one inside the shoulder. It was torn and split into. Has hurt for years. Just got worse as my kids get older (I have to play harder to keep up with them as they get older) They had to staple it to the bone. I haven't fully recovered.

JUST ripped my left shoulder during hunting season. It has been a tad weak and painful in certain positions and I was drunk (all stories start this way for me these days) and I decided I could wrestle my friend who is an amateur UFC fighter, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the whole nine yards...yeh he put me in submission and when I flipped around to grab my balance...apparently that is a trained move he puts you, he KNOWS you are going to flip for balance...he turned and slammed me using my own force with my left arm sticking straight up beside my face. RIIIIIIIP. Once I finished my addition I'll get it fixed. LOL

Point of my stories, man I feel for ya being restricted. I wasn't in cast for mine, but I wasn't allowed to do anything with mine for 6 weeks after surgery. Then for 2 months I was only allowed to do small therapy work outs which basically amounted to massages. Do what they say!! And if you do get surgery, listen to them, they have it down to a science concerning scar tissue and the physical therapy. Hope yours heals without surgery. Eat protein!
Funny how you mentioned the two tendons Dewey, as the doc mentioned something to me about how there's two tendons in the shoulder, but only one down where I tore mine, and, not sure if I mentioned this yet or not, but it's fairly common for people to tear the tendons up by the shoulder, but very rare to tear it where I did...go figure, seems like I'm always involved with rare instances that hardly ever happen lol.

It's pretty neat how this thread has spawned other folk's war stories...I say keep them coming!

Tom (tdrumm) and I were just PM-ing each other and he brought up how I had just had surgery on my right shoulder and elbow when he and I met back in 04...

Shortly after I joined this site, I had two surgeries done at once, a "decompression" on my right shoulder to clean up some arthritis and bone spurs in there, and a surgery to fix the tendinitis in my right elbow. That was the first time that I really inflated my post count here...I sat on the computer on PT.net all day long. I remember receiving my StainlessWorks LT's ans y-pipe and being able to do a thing with them but stare at them and fantasize. That's when I bought my LQ9 also...I humped the short block out of it's crate by myself with one arm...ah, the power of pain killers lol.

Well, I was cleared to go back to work with light duty, but was still in the healing process, and my right shoulder wasn't doing very good, and still had a lot of pain. Physical therapy was like murder to me.

I had been back at work for about a week or two, and it was the Friday before New Years which was on the weekend that year IIRC. That morning before work, my wife told me she was pregnant...I was nervous and excited as I went to work. As the day went on I felt like I had the flu. Long story short, I went home, passed out on the couch and woke up at midnight with the symptoms of a heart attack. Paramedics arrived and checked me out and I was rushed to the hospital. They did a cathaterization (or whatever it's called), and my arteries were clean. The final diagnosis was Myocarditis, which means that a virus attacked my heart which caused it to enlarge and malfunction. I spent a week in the hospital, in the CCU(?), then another month and a half at home after being out from Sep to Dec while my arm and shoulder "healed". I remember being hopped up on morphine and watching Notre Dame lose yet another bowl game on New Year's say...on a horrible TV with a nasty yellow tint.

Anyway, my heart eventually healed, but my shoulder never really did, to this day I still have problems, but I hooked up with a good pain management doctor who keeps me medicated so I can do my job. The elbow surgery worked out pretty good though
Old 01-23-2011, 09:09 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost forgot, I saw my Rosie today who started decorating my cast...I say "started" because I'm sure that she'll want to add to it lol...as promised, here ya go Tyler!

BTW, as per Rosie, both the red and mustard colored stuff are flames...my girl keeps telling me how she's going to buy me stuff, such as Chevy Trucks, a Camaro, guitars and basses...and everything is going to be painted black with flames

Old 01-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

too cute.

All the war stories are great and fun...until you (we) are 65-70. UGH.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get better bro. and when i saw the pics my mind said needs flames. Give the little one a high five for thinking alike.

Quick Reply: Hanging on by a thread...