THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Flaking comp cam lobes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tootall
All of the damages that I've seen on the lobes are always on the entry side, exiting has been ok.

There was one that had been ran for much longer, and it had flaked all the way around a lobe. This was blamed on a lifter issue and not a cam issue. Now I see that it's complete BS
Anyone have trouble with flaking cam lobes that were running beehive springs?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GMC93
Anyone have trouble with flaking cam lobes that were running beehive springs?
I myself have only seen this with dual springs.

Now "online" I have seen it across the board with any comp ground cam with aggressive lobes, meaning single or dual springs.

If your cam is wearing correctly, it will have a nice polished pathway in the lobe. No rutts, no groves, no chatter or uneven wear on the bearing races, nice and even all the way around.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Launching!

I myself have only seen this with dual springs.

Now "online" I have seen it across the board with any comp ground cam with aggressive lobes, meaning single or dual springs.

If your cam is wearing correctly, it will have a nice polished pathway in the lobe. No rutts, no groves, no chatter or uneven wear on the bearing races, nice and even all the way around.
I just don't fugin feel like pullin the damn thing out....
Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

just got a call back from Comps warranty department. It's out of the 1 year warranty, and there's nothing that could be done on his end. Hardness was a 60 on the lobes.

He did offer the same grind at a lower price, but no guarantee that it would not happen again.

The oil theory was thrown out there again. That the synthetics are too "slick" that that the roller slides or wipes itself on the lobe vs actually rolling over the lobe.

he asked about the roller condition on the lifters, and they were close to new, with none what so ever issues with the previous cam.

I also asked about this coming up more frequent since this is my 4th for the year. He said that he experienced the same issue with his own setup with explanation of failure.

So long story short, no explanation on the failure, and you're 1 year warranty is up, so that's it.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Launching!

just got a call back from Comps warranty department. It's out of the 1 year warranty, and there's nothing that could be done on his end. Hardness was a 60 on the lobes.

He did offer the same grind at a lower price, but no guarantee that it would not happen again.

The oil theory was thrown out there again. That the synthetics are too "slick" that that the roller slides or wipes itself on the lobe vs actually rolling over the lobe.

he asked about the roller condition on the lifters, and they were close to new, with none what so ever issues with the previous cam.

I also asked about this coming up more frequent since this is my 4th for the year. He said that he experienced the same issue with his own setup with explanation of failure.

So long story short, no explanation on the failure, and you're 1 year warranty is up, so that's it.
I guess I need to pull my cam in the next few months and give it a look.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

glad i'm running a howards cam
Old 04-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 767 Likes on 634 Posts

Great customer service!!! Even they guy telling you that you got taken admits that he got taken by his own companies products...

How's that for Irony...

The difference being that his was probably at cost and they probably gave him a replacement.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nickleahy23
hmm this worries me about my TSP 233/239 (comp cam) and dual springs.
I have 50k on my Ls2 with dual springs, TSP Comp Cam 228r, .588/.588, 110 lsa, and Ls7 lifters. Just like TooTall mentioned, it's with more dual springed set ups is this dimpling apparent.

On my set up, 10 out of the 16 lifters are damaged, along with visual dimpling on the cam. I looked at the cost of the Ls7 lifters compared to the Comp Lifters and the difference was $100 more for the Comp. I think that's a lot of $$ for parts that have the same job.

I spoke to a GM Tech I know pretty well, and he leaned more toward the "crappy GM Lifters", and mentioned that they're not made in the states. You spend cheap, you get cheap.

Last edited by lady3bglover; 05-17-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

You just pulled a cam with 50k on it and that's what you found? God damn it that's not very encouraging...
Old 05-19-2014, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
You just pulled a cam with 50k on it and that's what you found? God damn it that's not very encouraging...
This is the second instance that I've had with the LS7 Lifters.

I've already ordered/recvd the replacing Comp Cam hydraulic roller lifters, and have on order a new Comp Cam.

R&R sometime within the next week, with re-tune shortly to follow.

Quick Reply: Flaking comp cam lobes