THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Ever been given a ticket for F.S. 316.157?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever been given a ticket for F.S. 316.157?

I have, it's the "Method of Giving Hand and Arm Signals." So here's the story. My brother and I are headed north on the highway when a State Trooper flys by. I was doing 62-63mph. He was above 90mph. So I shot him a bird, he slows down and pulls me over. The trooper had gold teeth and was quite ignorant. Also, his speech was pathetic. If he was speeding to catch someone or to rush to an accident I wouldn't have been so angry, but he was speeding around with his lights and siren OFF. A few miles down the road I saw him sitting on the side of the road chatting with his buddy. WTF. I know I probably shouldn't have shot him a bird, but I did and now I have to figure what to do about it.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:20 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

deny deny deny. probably wont work but it might.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Ahhh yes.... The real world where cops can be ignorant, but to intentionally flip off a cop and not expect him to react may take the cake. I was replacing a sway bar one day on the back of a ohp impala a few years(12) ago. Of course I asked mr ohp "how did you accomplish this?" he say's " I was headed west when a east bound car stuck his finger out the window and was laughing" Seems the center medium was under construction and had a 3-4ft dirt wall built up for miles. He didn't care. He cranked her to the left and blew threw the medium leaving the ground in the process. He admitted it was stupid and said he would NOT do that again. He also said the dumbass look on the guy's face was pricless. He kept repeating. "I never thought you'd do that"

In other word's while he may be a *** don't poke the pig if ya don't want him to squeel.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

That kinda happened to me, no ticket though...

It was about 2 years ago, snowing its nuts off and the roads were HORRIBLE. I was on a 35mph road going 25mph because this road hadnt been plowed at all and my civic sucked *** in the snow. There is this impala on my *** for probably 5 minutes and then they decided to pass me, I had been pissed off all day and saw no reason for anyone to be speeding off in these weather conditions. So as this "impala" passed me I gave them a quick bird, then as they drove by I saw "POLICE" written on the side. At first I didnt think about because it was dark outside, but then they hit the brakes... oh ****. So they pulled me over and said "Did you have something you wanted to tell me?"... "Officer I really have no idea why ANYONE would need to be driving like you were in these conditions"... "I was on my way to a call" (yeah... with out lights or ANYTHING) "Do you know what you did was illegal"... "No sir"... "Well it is, its called prohibited language (something like that). Keep your fingers to yourself, have a good night".
Old 08-03-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Take it to court and see if they can pull up the records of where he was going at that time to justify why he was speeding so fast without his lights/siren on. Also I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I thought even cops aren't allowed to go 10mph over the posted limit if they are on their way to say an accident or something. Now I know that doesn't apply if they are chasing someone but obviously this guy wasn't.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zick
Also I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I thought even cops aren't allowed to go 10mph over the posted limit if they are on their way to say an accident or something.

That law varies from state to state. Most (including Florida) is 10 m.p.h. over.

Something else to consider, is that there are "codes" that police respond to a call in. I don't remember the order but, one is siren and lights, one is lights only, one is no lights or siren (quickly but safely), and the last is no siren or lights (not exceeding the speed limit).

Granted the "codes" don't apply in this case because the officer wasn't responding to a call. He was just a jackass in a hurry to hang out with his buddy. It's just something that keeps coming up but people don't know about. The quick response with no lights and sirens code is used when a crime is in progress and the police don't want to either scare off the perp or they don't want to cause him to react in an irrational manor i.e. hostage situation.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Tell the judge you had a big booger on your middle finger and were trying to flick it off!!!

Oh ya, and cops can do whatever they want whenever they want because its your word against theirs, even if you did win they will make your life a living hell every time you get pulled over. You'll be on Johhny law's blacklist.
My brother and brother in law are both cops, I hear all the stupid cop stories I can handle before pucking my guts out with their arrogance, and these are people I know!!!!
Just my 2 pennies.
Hope you do get out of it!!

Last edited by TG02Z71; 08-03-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup his word against yours. If you come up with a good reason why you had the bird flipped it could work. I didn't think you could get a ticket for that. Did you have a friend in the car. If so then just say you were telling him a story about something. That Cop just sounds like an *** with nothing better to do.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
Tell the judge you had a big booger on your middle finger and were trying to flick it off!!!

and then demonstrate
Old 08-08-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to mention that police officers are considered "experts on speed" so their word carries more weight than yours in the courtroom.