THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Do any of you guys listen to REAL country music?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
+1

You named almost all of my favorites.
So if'n you don't mind, Im gonna add a few so don't forget: Old Crow Medicine Show, Kyle Park, Reckless Kelly, Micky and the Motorcars, Cory Morrow, Max Stalling, Brandon Rhyder, and this new little band Whiskey Meyers has been owning me lately.

I must say that Whiskey Meyers put on one helluva show at Hurricaine Harry's here in College Station in November! I bought their CD and its kind of crude. I think the next one will be better. They were WAY better live. Check them out!

I have a funny story about good ol Stoney Larue. I used to like him but my perspective has changed since.

Eli Young Band- Mike Eli graduated from my high school two years ahead of me. They are heading in the direction of Nashville. (I grew up off highway 249... listen to the first verse of "always the love songs") They're early stuff was good. CD: Live at the Jolly Fox in Huntsville,TX was probably the best.

Don't know why Ragweed keeps putting out mediocre stuff lately? They used to be my favorite in high school but now...I dunno.

Ray Wylie Hubbard- You aint no kinda Texan unless you know Choctaw Bingo, word for word by memory!

Some of it is more southern rock than country, in my opinion but who's really counting? Its tons better than the **** on the radio. I'm thankful I live in a hick town with several radio stations that stray from playing the mainstream country. **** "Nashville"...It ain't what it used to be.
Same boat as you. Love kicking it to Randy Rogers, Reckless, Eli, Boland, Luke Olson, McMurtry, Lost Trailers, Creager, etc.

Also enjoy chilling to a smaller band from A&M called Emory Quinn. They play the smaller cities, but are on Pandora and the radio every now and then.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha just found out Eli Young Band will be here Feb. 5.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

ben smith
Old 01-07-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by thiems
Ragweed's new stuff and their old stuff are world's apart. I encourage you to listen to their old stuff such as Live and Loud at the Wormy Dog (the old one in Stillwater).
Hank III isn't country, at all. That's somebody who is trying to capitalize on the success of previous family members and he's ruining the name, IMO. However, he does sound like Sr. the most. What a waste.
Ragweed turned into what they truely are, and thats a sissy christian country band, and will always be that. I dont see hank III out there singing monday night football songs, or putting out crap just to get a hit. You said hank III sounds like sr., id have to agree and imo might say jr. is the one thats ruining the family name not III. but in the end its all personal preference and opinion when it comes to music..

Last edited by skolman91; 01-07-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

My wife and I and some of our friends have partied with Kevin Fowler, and Zona Jones on several occasions.

Honestly, the Red Dirt music about all I listen to anymore. Been wanting to go see Aaron Watson, CCR, & Randy Rogers so bad I can't stand it.

Shooter Jennings and Hank III are badass. Pretty much all the guys listed above are on my playlists....

Saw Stoney LaRue at the Brazoria County Rodeo year before last..
Old 01-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by thiems
Ragweed's new stuff and their old stuff are world's apart. I encourage you to listen to their old stuff such as Live and Loud at the Wormy Dog (the old one in Stillwater).

Hank III isn't country, at all. That's somebody who is trying to capitalize on the success of previous family members and he's ruining the name, IMO. However, he does sound like Sr. the most. What a waste.

Choctaw Bingo is a James McMurty song although Ray Wylie does cover it. It's actually a pretty geographically correct song about Oklahoma since McMurtry wrote it while basically traveling through Oklahoma.
I have the Wormy Dog CD. I just can't get into their last two CD's. Even "Take me Back to Tulsa" live cd was just ok. It seems I only listen to their old stuff nowadays.

I heard the RWH version of Choctaw Bingo first and I just couldnt dig the original version. If you read RWH's comments about it he says, "I sing the song how I think it should sound." I agree.

I totally agree on Hank III. I think Hank Jr was capitalizing on the name....but thats just me.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, this "Red Dirt" stuff isn't "true" country.

When I think of country I think of Trace Adkins, George, Paisley, Jackson, George Strait, Rodney Currington, Darryl Worley, Waylon Jennings, Travis Tritt, Dwight.

Not a single NEW female artist can touch Allison Krauss or Terri Clark.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
I have the Wormy Dog CD. I just can't get into their last two CD's. Even "Take me Back to Tulsa" live cd was just ok. It seems I only listen to their old stuff nowadays.

I heard the RWH version of Choctaw Bingo first and I just couldnt dig the original version. If you read RWH's comments about it he says, "I sing the song how I think it should sound." I agree.

I totally agree on Hank III. I think Hank Jr was capitalizing on the name....but thats just me.
I'm the same way with songs. Whoever I hear it first, that becomes the original version to me and the other never quite sounds as good.

Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy
IMO, this "Red Dirt" stuff isn't "true" country.

When I think of country I think of Trace Adkins, George, Paisley, Jackson, George Strait, Rodney Currington, Darryl Worley, Waylon Jennings, Travis Tritt, Dwight.

Not a single NEW female artist can touch Allison Krauss or Terri Clark.
Trace Adkins? Seriously? Honky Tonk Badunkadunk or whatever the hell it's called?! That's a joke.

Trace and Paisley are pop country at best.

It's hard to define true country. Waylon and all of those guys will usually be classified as true country. Almost all of the newer stuff is pop country. Dwight has more of a Bakersfieldesque influence as does Gary Allan.

Red Dirt isn't all true country either. To put it simple, it isn't pussified country like everything else you hear on the radio. However, most Red Dirt guys are heavily influenced by the likes of Waylon, Cash, Kristofferson, Dylan, etc. The radio pop country singers are more influenced by money and what they think the morons on the radio will play.

Besides, Red Dirt has a lot more meaning as most of them write their own songs from their own experiences. 97% of the stuff on the radio isn't written by the performer. People sing with more heart when it's their own words.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Same boat as you. Love kicking it to Randy Rogers, Reckless, Eli, Boland, Luke Olson, McMurtry, Lost Trailers, Creager, etc.

Also enjoy chilling to a smaller band from A&M called Emory Quinn. They play the smaller cities, but are on Pandora and the radio every now and then.
I've heard a few Emory Quinn songs. I think I may have seen them one year at Chilifest but I'm always so drunk......I could be lying. I know I have seen the name on Zapatos Cantina and The Hall.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Beau I figured youd chime in here. Hell you go to the same school as Casey Donahew did. (I think I remember you sayin you were graduating from A&M.) Ive gotta hear this story about Stoney. Everyone I know has a different look at him. I agree that EYB's Live At The Jolly Fox is their best CD but after talkin to Mike at a show here he did say that Jet Black and Jealous the way it is on CD is not the way they went into the studio with it. He said he is happy with it but its alot more "Nashville" than he ever intended.

Quick Reply: Do any of you guys listen to REAL country music?