THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Do any of you guys listen to REAL country music?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skolman91
Silly southerners ,think you own everything. From that link and most everything ive seen listed isnt real country. Now i dont hardly believe real country exists anymore, but the closest your gonna get now adays is gonna be hank III, wayne the train, and unknown hinson or something simular..
and if you really think Cross Canadian Ragweed is country, castrate yourself now plz
Ive gotta disagree with this totally. I think that 95% of the artists that have been named in this thread are real country. If you know much music history youll know that Hank Sr was considered a rebel in his day because his music was different than the country music being written and performed at the time. Same with all the artists in the Red Dirt genre. The reason they dont all get mass amount of radio airplay is that they dont conform to what Nashville wants.

Hank III is not a country artist. He may play his own version of outlaw country or whatever you want to call it but he has used other genres of music and other bands to get his musical acclaim. Ill agree that he is a talented musician in that he has played bass, guitar, and drums for some very noteable acts for their genres, but he is simply out to do whatever he wants, be it playing metal, country, punk, psychobilly or just simply getting stoned and drunk. He is living off the coat tail of his grandfathers name.

Ragweed is country and if youve never listened to the Wormy Dog cd like stated earlier, pick it up. Itll definetly change your mind.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I still have to watch this video at least twice when I get home from work everyday.............enough said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM
Old 01-07-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

It saddens me that there will never be able to be four people that bad *** that had that big of a stage presence on a stage ever again.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6ls1
Ive gotta disagree with this totally. I think that 95% of the artists that have been named in this thread are real country. If you know much music history youll know that Hank Sr was considered a rebel in his day because his music was different than the country music being written and performed at the time. Same with all the artists in the Red Dirt genre. The reason they dont all get mass amount of radio airplay is that they dont conform to what Nashville wants.

Hank III is not a country artist. He may play his own version of outlaw country or whatever you want to call it but he has used other genres of music and other bands to get his musical acclaim. Ill agree that he is a talented musician in that he has played bass, guitar, and drums for some very noteable acts for their genres, but he is simply out to do whatever he wants, be it playing metal, country, punk, psychobilly or just simply getting stoned and drunk. He is living off the coat tail of his grandfathers name.

Ragweed is country and if youve never listened to the Wormy Dog cd like stated earlier, pick it up. Itll definetly change your mind.
country isnt country, country doesnt exist anymore. im sure "red dirt music" or whatever you want to call it has a country sound to it. but nobody is ever going to be a big famous country star unless you conform to what nashville wants(like you said). hank III is doing what he wants, and prob never will have a #1hit or huge tour because of it, but saying hes riding coat tails is kinda unfair imo. Take dale jr. as an example, he will always be compared to what his daddy did unless he changes his name and goes and does something else, but even then he would still be known as earnhardt jr, sorta like III. he will always be compared to his grand daddy and dad, nothing he can do but do it the way he wants, which is the way i like it
Heck who cares, these are just my opinions which have come from living in nastyville for 2yrs. after doing that i cant hardly even stand listening to country, but if i do, its hankIII. again opinions are like ********, everybodys got one..
at least everybody agrees on one thing, the country on the radio is ridiculously awful .
Old 01-08-2010, 12:08 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Ragweed turned into what they truely are, and thats a sissy christian country band, and will always be that. I dont see hank III out there singing monday night football songs, or putting out crap just to get a hit. You said hank III sounds like sr., id have to agree and imo might say jr. is the one thats ruining the family name not III. but in the end its all personal preference and opinion when it comes to music..
how in the hell did you come up with that conclusion???
Old 01-08-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

What he said ^^^
How did i forget about Pat Green too!!! he's the chit
Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Ragweed turned into what they truely are, and thats a sissy christian country band, and will always be that.
I assure you a Ragweed concert is different than ANY Christian concert that has ever been done. They are not a Christian band.

country isnt country, country doesnt exist anymore. im sure "red dirt music" or whatever you want to call it has a country sound to it. but nobody is ever going to be a big famous country star unless you conform to what nashville wants(like you said). hank III is doing what he wants, and prob never will have a #1hit or huge tour because of it, but saying hes riding coat tails is kinda unfair imo. Take dale jr. as an example, he will always be compared to what his daddy did unless he changes his name and goes and does something else, but even then he would still be known as earnhardt jr, sorta like III. he will always be compared to his grand daddy and dad, nothing he can do but do it the way he wants, which is the way i like it
Heck who cares, these are just my opinions which have come from living in nastyville for 2yrs. after doing that i cant hardly even stand listening to country, but if i do, its hankIII. again opinions are like ********, everybodys got one..
at least everybody agrees on one thing, the country on the radio is ridiculously awful .
Both Dale Jr. and Hank III are riding the coat tails of their family. Dale's first name is Ralph and Hank III's real name is Shelton. If they didn't want a little bit of help then they would go by their first names.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by ws6ls1
Beau I figured youd chime in here. Hell you go to the same school as Casey Donahew did. (I think I remember you sayin you were graduating from A&M.) Ive gotta hear this story about Stoney. Everyone I know has a different look at him. I agree that EYB's Live At The Jolly Fox is their best CD but after talkin to Mike at a show here he did say that Jet Black and Jealous the way it is on CD is not the way they went into the studio with it. He said he is happy with it but its alot more "Nashville" than he ever intended.
Thats an affirmative. Casey Donahew is ok but his voice is annoying to me. (sorry ) Roger Creager went to my school as well. Now he's one hell of an entertainer! I think I have seen him and Ragweed over 8 times each. They never get old.

Stoney Larue was trying to hit on a friend of a friend's girlfriend one night at Harry's. (He's fuggin married....WTF?) The boyfriend got pissed off and got in ol' Stoney's face asking what his problem was. Old Stoney goes, "Don't you know who I am? I'm Stoney Larue."
Boyfriend: Stoney La-who?
Stoney: Stoney Larue
About this time, we were all watching this go down and Stoney got a "clue" and walked away. Everybody was like, "what a ***."

[ Any time me and my friends get to drinkin and a stoney song comes on we're all like "who is this?....wait....is that?...NO!...Its Stoney Larue" Then somebody will say, "Stoney La-who?" Its funny **** but it might be something you have to be there to giggle at. ]

About EYB: I'm sure it was more producer's influence than theirs. That's what I was thinking before hand so thanks for the confirmation. I hope they dumb it down a little. I used to love getting schwasted and laying out in the yard listening to their CD. It was awesome. I hate growing up.

Originally Posted by f4tal
What he said ^^^
How did i forget about Pat Green too!!! he's the chit
Pat Green!? His early stuff was really good. He sang about hating Nashville, then went that route with "Wave on wave"......Wave on FAIL! (no offense. I'm just really ANTI NASHVILLE)

Last edited by FarmerBeau; 01-08-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by thiems
I assure you a Ragweed concert is different than ANY Christian concert that has ever been done. They are not a Christian band.

Both Dale Jr. and Hank III are riding the coat tails of their family. Dale's first name is Ralph and Hank III's real name is Shelton. If they didn't want a little bit of help then they would go by their first names.
ok how about we go with sissy hippie christian country band, yea i like that better.
and im so glad you know how to use google to find there names, want a cookie?
you keep your fake dirt red country, im out..
Old 01-08-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

ok how about we go with sissy hippie christian country band, yea i like that better.
and im so glad you know how to use google to find there names, want a cookie?
you keep your fake dirt red country, im out..
Please show me anywhere in their interviews, songs, etc. where they talk about how they are doing this for God, spread the gospel, etc.

I also apologize that I work smart and not hard. I'm going to pass on the cookie. Trying to cut sweets out.

And how is this now "fake" red dirt? Are you trying to say that Hank III is real red dirt? If you want to get technical, red dirt is widely considered to have been started in Stillwater and I would bet the farm Hank III has never stepped foot in that town.

Quick Reply: Do any of you guys listen to REAL country music?