THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Do any of you guys listen to REAL country music?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:29 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thiems
My car has a pretty strict playlist including:

Ragweed, Boland, No Justice, Great Divide, McClure, Aaron Watson, Adam Hood, Bleu, Brandon Jenkins, Felice Brothers, Bart Crow, Charlie Robison, Chris Knight, LeDoux, Cooder Graw, Cory Morrow, Django Walker, Jerry Jeff Walker, Guy Clark, Hayes Carll, Hank Sr., James McMurtry, Jason Savory, Kristofferson, Cash, Haggard, Keith Whitley, Old 97's, Ray Wylie Hubbard, RRB, Reckless Kelly, Robert Earl Keen, Steve Earle, Roger Clyne, Wade Bowen, yadda yadda yadda...

I like Stoney but he's got kind of a reputation for ripping off other people's songs (i.e. Oklahoma Breakdown from Hosty).

Some friends of mine have a band, The Turnpike Troubadours, and if you like all of the above you'll enjoy them too. They just put out their second CD on the 4th that was produced by McClure: http://turnpiketroubadours.com/
+1

You named almost all of my favorites.
So if'n you don't mind, Im gonna add a few so don't forget: Old Crow Medicine Show, Kyle Park, Reckless Kelly, Micky and the Motorcars, Cory Morrow, Max Stalling, Brandon Rhyder, and this new little band Whiskey Meyers has been owning me lately.

I must say that Whiskey Meyers put on one helluva show at Hurricaine Harry's here in College Station in November! I bought their CD and its kind of crude. I think the next one will be better. They were WAY better live. Check them out!

I have a funny story about good ol Stoney Larue. I used to like him but my perspective has changed since.

Eli Young Band- Mike Eli graduated from my high school two years ahead of me. They are heading in the direction of Nashville. (I grew up off highway 249... listen to the first verse of "always the love songs") They're early stuff was good. CD: Live at the Jolly Fox in Huntsville,TX was probably the best.

Don't know why Ragweed keeps putting out mediocre stuff lately? They used to be my favorite in high school but now...I dunno.

Ray Wylie Hubbard- You aint no kinda Texan unless you know Choctaw Bingo, word for word by memory!

Some of it is more southern rock than country, in my opinion but who's really counting? Its tons better than the **** on the radio. I'm thankful I live in a hick town with several radio stations that stray from playing the mainstream country. **** "Nashville"...It ain't what it used to be.

Last edited by FarmerBeau; 01-07-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ all those are good...
i listen to a local country station that plays alot of local bands or small bands that are trying to make it big! oh another favorite is Corey Smith! nothing like some good ol country hahaha
Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f4tal
Red Dirt Roundup FTMFW!!!

Ive seen Casey Donahew idk how many times lol
Eli Young, Josh Abbott just a few i jam too alot and have seen in concert

oh an Bart Crow
that guys such a tool in real life.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

hahaha i know david! but have you been to one of his concerts?! you should... TRUST ME
Old 01-07-2010, 12:31 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I'm listening to the radio, it's usually this station. http://kayo.sixradiosites.com/

Click on the 'listen live', this is the music we grew up listening to.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
I like old country, can't listen to the new stuff!
Same here! I went home to my parents house over Christmas break and I started looking through all my old CDs that I made and its amazing how different 'county' music is now-a-days.

And whats funny is the younger generation at all the county fairs think their country because they listen to the new pop country.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skolman91
Silly southerners ,think you own everything. From that link and most everything ive seen listed isnt real country. Now i dont hardly believe real country exists anymore, but the closest your gonna get now adays is gonna be hank III, wayne the train, and unknown hinson or something simular..
and if you really think Cross Canadian Ragweed is country, castrate yourself now plz
Ragweed's new stuff and their old stuff are world's apart. I encourage you to listen to their old stuff such as Live and Loud at the Wormy Dog (the old one in Stillwater).

Hank III isn't country, at all. That's somebody who is trying to capitalize on the success of previous family members and he's ruining the name, IMO. However, he does sound like Sr. the most. What a waste.

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
+1
Ray Wylie Hubbard- You aint no kinda Texan unless you know Choctaw Bingo, word for word by memory!
Choctaw Bingo is a James McMurty song although Ray Wylie does cover it. It's actually a pretty geographically correct song about Oklahoma since McMurtry wrote it while basically traveling through Oklahoma.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Listening to Jango.com and I have a ton of old country in the playlist and they play Hank III. Song was called Punch Fight **** (P.F.F.) LOL AWESOME!

I can listen to it all (coutnry), but much prefer old cowboy country. I actually like a **** ton of different music. Club/dance, NIN (listening right now), old/new rock, a ton of stuff. Sure, some of it is plain crap and shallow. I mean, what the fug is up with all the Jimmy Buffet copy cats these days. If I hear another "country singer" singing about the islands I am going to poke my ear drums out. Except for Blake Shelton...Some beach. That's funny.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

WOW!!! Pandora here I come. I've never heard of about 98% of the bands/singers you all listed.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

double post ftw!

Quick Reply: Do any of you guys listen to REAL country music?