THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Buying a vehicle out of state?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a vehicle out of state?

Anyone actually bought a vehicle and had it shipped to them that came from another state?
There isn't **** for vehicles around here and the ones that I found and would buy all have been too far away to drive.
I'm seriously considering buying a vehicle out of state and having it shipped to me but don't know what to look out for.
I can find shipping companies so that's not a big deal but what about paperwork, the title, money transfers, etc.
I think my biggest worry is how to transfer the money safely without getting screwed. Should I use an Escrow company? Any recommendations?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Escrow.com for $$ safety
Old 05-06-2010, 01:13 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would fly to where ever it is and drive it back,but thats just me...
Old 05-06-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I couldn't spend that much money on an item and not see it in person first, I agree with the post above.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks pasadenaman for the escrow link, I've looked at that one before but didn't know of anyone who's used them before.

I'd like to fly there and drive back which could save a little bit of money compared to shipping but it's more of a PITA trying to get off work, find a flight that fits my schedule to get there on time (if it's a dealership), renting a cab to get to and from airport, etc.
And yes I'm definately leary of buying a vehicle that I haven't seen personally. I've heard others that have done it and were happy but I'm sure it can go the exact opposite way too.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

I have done both. I had a 48 suburban shipped from AZ. I just bought a truck in OK met the guy at DFW and drove it home. On the suburban I sent the money after some good pics, it is a builder so that was good enough on the truck I sent a deposit and completed the trans face to face. It just comes down to a feel thing between you and the buyer. Jay
Old 05-08-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in the middle of this fiasco right now. Bought an awesome RST on ebay. Did all my checks, carfax about a billion questions back and forthe with the previous owner, blah blah blah. The one area I didn't look at was shipping. Big F'ing ball drop on my part. Hired for the lowest shipping price. A week after hiring them not only had they stopped taking my calls they also stopped returning my emails. So after the fact I find this company has a BBB rating of F! Basically they took my $150 deposit and dropped off the map.

I hired a new company and the next day they picked it up and it's on it's way.

If I ever buy a vehicle at a distance again I'll fly out and get it. Would have this time but it wasn't in the cards

**DO NOT USE ALL AROUND AUTO SHIPPERS**
Old 05-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Just got a 2010 GT500 from ebay shipped from TX to AZ with 0 issues. I did a money transfer from the bank to the owner, and made sure that everything checked out before the money was sent. I have a personal transporter that i deal with for this kind of stuff. Let me know if I can help.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zick
Thanks pasadenaman for the escrow link, I've looked at that one before but didn't know of anyone who's used them before.

I'd like to fly there and drive back which could save a little bit of money compared to shipping but it's more of a PITA trying to get off work, find a flight that fits my schedule to get there on time (if it's a dealership), renting a cab to get to and from airport, etc.
And yes I'm definately leary of buying a vehicle that I haven't seen personally. I've heard others that have done it and were happy but I'm sure it can go the exact opposite way too.

You can have use uship to get free quotes on shipping. I used them and they are great on prices. There are plenty of people hauling stuff that have room for stuff. You can even have that person check the car out for you.
Each hauler has a feedback rating like ebay. This will solve the time off work problem.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys for the help but hopefully after tonight I won't be needed to ship anything. Found a truck that is about an hour away and going to check it out tonight.

Quick Reply: Buying a vehicle out of state?