THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Buying tools.... need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying tools.... need help

I am currently in the process of getting into an aviation maint. tech school so its time to start buying some tools. I cant seem to decide on a tool box. Are there any other companies besides mac and snap-on that have some kind of student programs? Any suggestions for a good box?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Have you checked with your school to see if they are partners with anybody and offering some discount deals?
Old 09-02-2008, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

I havent thought of that yet
Old 09-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Just my opinion, but the mac, and snap ons are way overpriced. I stick with good ol craftsman..
Old 09-02-2008, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

I agree but i do favor snap-on tool boxes over ant other i've seen so far. Def top notch boxes
Old 09-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NHolds
Just my opinion, but the mac, and snap ons are way overpriced. I stick with good ol craftsman..
I agree, and I prefer Craftsman tool, cause they have a lifetime warranty on sockets, rachets, etc... Not to mention there is always a Sears around the corner... Snap-on and MAC trucks are hard to come by when you don't work at a shop...
Old 09-02-2008, 06:18 PM
apple bottom jeans

My Craftsman toolbox (4 drawers) once flipped over twice in my truck bed and smashed into the front of my box. Still works like a charm. Fully loaded at the time
Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thiems
Have you checked with your school to see if they are partners with anybody and offering some discount deals?
defiantly check out and see if they have some sort of partners...at my school I went too we got 50% off snap on and youd have to be a fool not to take that kind of a deal...I got a 54" chest, stainless top for it...and a took kit...and its all still in the shipping create...I found a different occupation than spinning wrenches so when I get a house w/ garage Ill be all set...if you have the chance, by all means use it!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I agree, and I prefer Craftsman tool, cause they have a lifetime warranty on sockets, rachets, etc... Not to mention there is always a Sears around the corner... Snap-on and MAC trucks are hard to come by when you don't work at a shop...

We use to use Craftsman ratchets but after a couple years they begin to suck big time.. the teeth slipping and busting your knuckles got old quick.

I perfer the Husky/Stanley ratchtes, they tend to stay smoother in the long run and their ratchet angle is very close, i havent broken one since i got my tool kit 5 years ago. I tried some of the Composite Pittsburgh Ratchets from Harbor Freight and havent broke them yet, plus they are light, i like them.

The box on the other hand it would seem logical to spend a extra dollar on since thats whats goin to store and transport the tools. Something will SS ball bearings maybe?

Or you could get a big Mac one like Andy has and just leave it in your truck cause your sure not goin to be unloading that thing by yourself..
Old 09-03-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like my kennedy tool box granted it's more made for a mold maker but they serve the purpose as an all around good tool box at an afforadable price and the ball bearings in them are very smooth! A fully decked out box on a upgraded roller cart will run around 1400$ but that is a HUGE box. typical box'es are around 5-600$. In my opinon well worth it.

Quick Reply: Buying tools.... need help