THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Best recession proof/poor economy business to be in

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Best recession proof/poor economy business to be in

Hey guy, was just wanting to get your opinions on what you think the best business/industry to be in right now would be. I know this economy hurts a lot of industries, but there are some that have to be thriving because of it. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by kbracing96; 02-27-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something where things are cheap like Dollar General Stores and maybe even some fast food chains.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:11 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beer store or a good bar. It's a proven fact
Old 02-27-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevytruck
Beer store or a good bar. It's a proven fact
+1

But folks also look at a struggling economy as the time to better themselves and go back to school. I work at a community college here in DFW and I bet a good 40% of those that come through my lab are not your typical "college aged" students.

Many people are taking advantage of not being able to find work by investing in themselves for future opportunities. At my campus, we have seen consistent growth recently.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:29 PM
something else

Also a good gym. I know the one that I go to I over heard the ladie that owns the place say that business was picking up and she was bracing for a decline for a major loss. Like Bobby said people are trying to better them selfs.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

military has a waiting list, atleast navy air force and coast guard does, army and marines might not though. people have flooded our doors it seems like
Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 PM
11 Second Truck Club

i would have to say military also. you know your going to get paid on the 1st and the 15th. gym's are poping up here like crazy and they are busy. oil field is picking up slowly but surely.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

To get simple: Everyone has to have food, electricity and gas. I work in nuclear power and it has already started to boom again.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PathfinderJr
+1

But folks also look at a struggling economy as the time to better themselves and go back to school. I work at a community college here in DFW and I bet a good 40% of those that come through my lab are not your typical "college aged" students.

Many people are taking advantage of not being able to find work by investing in themselves for future opportunities. At my campus, we have seen consistent growth recently.
Bobby, if not workin, investing in themselves is a smart idea. Why not, they're only so many options. After school, finding other jobs or being a bum are some of the few options left.
Food, water & shelter are the bare basics actually. Other things make life easier tho.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

As turbogibbs said everyone needs food power and gas. With that said fuel transportation industry seems to be a fairly good choice if you can get into it. Because you need the trucks to bring the gas to the gas stations from the gas terminals to fuel the consumers cars, the trucks bringing the food to the stores and for the work/service trucks the electrical companies to service the power lines. But also the mechanincs (which I am) in the shops to work on the trucks should be a safe area to get in.

Quick Reply: Best recession proof/poor economy business to be in