THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Any techs out there??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any techs out there??

Hey, i am writing my junior project for school and i am wondering if there are any certified techs out there? I am pursuing a career in the performance division and am trying to get some info from people that do this for a living. Things such as school, training, pay and anything else you could think of would be great! Thanks for anything and have a great day!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would be interested in how you get into the performance division??? I am certified, I guess. I did not go to a formal school for mechanics. Istarted changing oil and moved my way up.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:01 AM

Yeah me too lol i think it would be a fun career. Go to Wyotech.com and check out the High Performance Powertrains. Thats what i am going for.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i used to be a tech. went to UTI, went to the Jaguar program. got a good signing bonus and contract, was a tech for almost 5 years. got out of the business due to politics and all the BS that is associated with it.

i went from $16.50 to $25 an hour in two years. was flagging 100 hours a pay period, etc.

the potential is out there, but you either have to be very, very good at what you do, or a lying cheating piece of **** to be succesfull. the guys that are in between dont usually make good paychecks. of course there are the very few exceptions where you have a good guy in charge with good morals, but is usually not the case, unfortunately.

as far as a performance shop, i cannot speak of that experience. im sure its a lot better than a dealer. i hope, at least.

i now work for my dads company doing natural stone restoration. i still wrench for fun and side jobs, but i love working on stone more than anything. i make less, but im happy and thats my main goal.

if youre not happy where youre at, it wont matter how much you make, you'll be miserable. it sounds cliche, but its the truth.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 06sierra5.3
got out of the business due to politics and all the BS that is associated with it.

i went from $16.50 to $25 an hour in two years. was flagging 100 hours a pay period, etc.

the potential is out there, but you either have to be very, very good at what you do, or a lying cheating piece of **** to be succesfull. the guys that are in between dont usually make good paychecks. of course there are the very few exceptions where you have a good guy in charge with good morals, but is usually not the case, unfortunately.

as far as a performance shop, i cannot speak of that experience. im sure its a lot better than a dealer. i hope, at least.

if youre not happy where youre at, it wont matter how much you make, you'll be miserable. it sounds cliche, but its the truth.
you couldn't have said it any better , good luck getting in the performance division. you might as well go and become an engineer if you want to get into the performance division oh and look into the gm A.C.E.P courses in your area they look really good to management and it will help you move up faster at the dealership.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:31 AM

Thanks guys, it helps to hear from experience. I plan to start out at a dealer but this is something that i am passionate about so i figure that i will be able to go somewhere with it. GM A.C.E.P.?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZACHBROOKS95115
Thanks guys, it helps to hear from experience. I plan to start out at a dealer but this is something that i am passionate about so i figure that i will be able to go somewhere with it. GM A.C.E.P.?

everyone starts out being passinate about it. some stay passionate, true, and stay good people. others turn into pieces of crap. dont turn into a piece of crap. i love workin on cars, i miss it, but doing it for a living took all the fun out of it.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:52 AM
apple bottom jeans

If it's something you love to do, don't do it as a job because instead of a hobby, it turns into your life since it's all you'll be doing, and you'll grow to hate it, imo.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:28 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "Flat Rate" system can turn some people into real azzholes, and takes the fun out of it. Now that I'm no longer on flat rate and work on more diagnostics, my career is fun again. It's tough to take the time and diagnose something properly while your watching the clock tick and your paycheck get smaller. That's one of the reasons that there are alot of "parts changers" out there.

Quick Reply: Any techs out there??