THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

any pipewelders out there ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default any pipewelders out there ????

I've been welding for about 7 years now. I have taken both vertical and overhead for structural to bridge code. I'm going to be taking a couple of tests to be certified in pipe welding. One in carbon steel and the other in SS.
Is there any tips, tricks or advice you guys can give me for the tests?
I'm planning on taking the tests Thursday.

Any and all info/advice would be much appreciated.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've welded a little bit. I weld on Nuclear Submarines for a living. Have not gotten into pipe though. I can stick weld in a mirror but can't tig w/ a mirror (to many moving parts 4 me,LOL) What are these tests like? Open root (w/purge), butt, or sleeve? Is the pipe fixed or can you move it around? What kind of NDT does it have to pass?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Welding on Nuclear Subs, very nice. Do they need any other welders .

I'm finding out more about the specifics of the tests today. It was a last minute decision on my part, kind of spur of the moment.

What part of ME are you from? I'm just south of you right outside of Boston.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you're doing a pipe test, it most likely will be a 6G test. That puts the test piece on a 45 Deg. agle.It takes quite a bit of practice to get used to that, versus the standard vertical, horizontal, and overhead. Most are open root (3/32 to 1/8 gap), tig root, and hot pass, then fill with stick. It's trickey!!! Good luck!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tig
Welding on Nuclear Subs, very nice. Do they need any other welders .

I'm finding out more about the specifics of the tests today. It was a last minute decision on my part, kind of spur of the moment.

What part of ME are you from? I'm just south of you right outside of Boston.
Well g/l with the tests. I live in Eliot, right next to Portsmouth, NH. Working on Subs is cool. I am actually leaving for Puget Sound Naval Base in WA. on Nov. 14th till xmas to work on one out there. I don't know if the PNS is hiring right now but you can always look https://www.donhr.navy.mil/, look under jobs,jobs,jobs.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

jf,
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Good luck to you to on your work in WA. Thanks for link to.

wk,
What was explained to me was the SS was going to be Tig welded and the Carbon was going to be stick welded. I'm not sure if that would still be under the same code. What do you mean by "hot pass". I'm getting pretty nervous now. I'm very confident in my welding, its trying soimething new that makes me nervous.

Thanks for th replies guys, I appreciate the info.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

What industry/Company are you testing for? "Most" pipe testing is done on a 6G test stand, usually tig root, and second pass (hot pass), then fill out, and cap with stick. Most oil, and chemical piping is tig root, and hot pass, then stick the rest of the way. Usually the gas company runs 6010 root, and hot (stick), and 7018 fill, and cap passes.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

I tried to get some more info, unfortunately the company and test info is being held until my references clear. Not sure why, thats what was explained to me.

So "hot pass" is stick?

Thanks again wkdivr, I appreciate it.