THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Any mountain bike/trail/freeride guys here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sc00by
...Definitely try to put a decent gear set and derailer on the back with nice rapid fire style shifter. No grip shifters for off road or urban street riding! It will then become basically a BMX with gears and suspension. These style bikes can really take a beating!

I have a set of off road tires that are pretty heavy and noisy when street riding so to help out with distance riding I bought a different set for road/hard packed dirt use. some nice pucnture resistant 1.95x26" tires that have great traction on pavement. I can cut pretty hard when moving at a good clip. Much lighter than the 2.25's that came on it. Plus the soft compounded off road tires wear quickly on the street. ...
Some more good info.

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
I have a 98 Klein Attitude Pro that I used to ride a ton of trails with, but haven't hopped on it much lately, been working too much. I had a Trek Y33 set up for downhill, Trek 9800 hardtail, and an Elf bmx bike, but sold them all over the years. The Klein is a stiff bike with a long top tube, but really quick on the single tracks. And at 21 pounds, you feel every bump you hit.

I'll post up a pic of the Klein and maybe still have some of the other bikes somewhere.
Here I was goin for a light bike, cause I figured it'd mean less mass, easier to move out. Never thought of it bein a disadvantage being so light that bumps are nasty.

Ya, I was hoping u could post a few pics of the Klein. The I read the last line of quote.

Or even the Treks, Tex.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to throw on the street tires he gave me and see how they ride. They're a lot wider than the knobby dirt tires are too.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a specialized p1a1 converted to 9speed. I love it. I don't ride it anymore though... never have time...
Old 03-18-2011, 01:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The girlfriends bike

My bike

I would have to say. If you love doing 35 ft gaps and giant drops. A freeride/downhill bik is good. Not so much for cumuting. And using for transportation.
Plus you don't wona take a bike like charcoal03silvys to school. Bc when you get ready to ride it home. It won't be there
Old 03-18-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Here I was goin for a light bike, cause I figured it'd mean less mass, easier to move out. Never thought of it bein a disadvantage being so light that bumps are nasty.

Ya, I was hoping u could post a few pics of the Klein. The I read the last line of quote.

Or even the Treks, Tex.
A light bike is going to feel much quicker on the trails, but a heavy, full suspension bike will be much easier to ride. If I wanted to cruise around on the trails and hit some downhill sections, I would take my Y33 (26lbs) with Spinergy wheels, downhill fork and hydraulic brakes; if I wanted to fly around the trails and be comfortable but quick, I would ride the Trek 9800 (24lbs) which is a carbon fiber hardtail with decent componentry (XT), so the frame was pretty forgiving. For racing and technical switch backs, the Klein (21lbs) is perfect, but with thin-walled gradient aluminum frame, XTR, SID fork and Crossmax wheels, it is far from bomb-proof and extremely stiff, but by far the quickest bike I have ever ridden. It's all what you want out of a bike: fun, comfortable all-around trail/freeride bike (full susp), fast but comfortable trail bike (relatively light, non-stiff frame hardtail), or all out race bike that flies around the trail and feels as nimble as an F1 car, (superlight, stiff frame hardtail). For me, it would be the difference between a Porsche Cayenne S, Carerra S, and a GT3; all fun vehicles, but all have different purposes.

Haven't found any pics of the Treks, but here is a pic of the Klein...

This is pretty much exactly my Trek, except it had a Judy DH fork and a yellow frame. But the brakes, wheels, tires, rear shock and frame are spot on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/treky33dmc/3067037441/

Last edited by TX Tahoe Z71; 03-18-2011 at 12:28 PM.