Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

tb ss towing capabilities?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a 4,000+lb truck on my 1,500lb car trailor and it towed like a dream..

How ever, I had Lowe's set a 2,700lb pallet on the front of my car trailor and it squated the TBSS to the bumps and it did not have enough with the air bags to compensate. Needless to say, we repositioned the pallet.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

3500lb truck, 1800lb trailer. Towed it 600 miles round trip. TBSS did wonderfully. Regular trialer behavior, pushed the SS during a panic stop. But 25mph+ it accelerated like the trailer wasnt even there. Just dont beat on it, or you'll be saving for another 4L70E
Old 01-30-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

The TBSS will tow that no problem!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
the TBSS will air itself up when you drop a load on the hitch so theres no squat. the SSS will squat a little when you put a load on it. the SSS will tow with less drama because its a fullsize truck with a long wheelbase. That said, I pulled a fullsize blazer with my TBSS on a steel trailer that was over 7000lbs total, and it wasnt bad, the weight of the rear probably helps a good bit. I wouldnt want to tow it anywhere that I would need to panic stop though. 4500lbs of car/trailer should be cake, my boat and trailer are around 2000lbs and it tows like its not even there.

people that don't know **** from shineola shouldn't comment, they are totally different. The TBSS has airbags and a 4-link with a panhard bar and a big heavy one ton truck rear end, the SSS has leaf springs and no bags with a lighter rear, the exact same as a Z71 without lift blocks.
if your gonna call someone out at least be right. my 2wd SS has the same rear as the tbss if im not mistaken. and my SSS has towed 7,000 lbs countless countless times with no problem. tranny never getting hot on the guage. if the chevy says it can tow what it says then be sure it can and do more then that, they rate that to save there *** so you know it can do it. now if your towing something lighter then that and you cant keep it on the road then either learn how to balance your load or learn how to drive... or its a realllly windy day lol
Old 01-31-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AeroKing

3500lb truck, 1800lb trailer. Towed it 600 miles round trip. TBSS did wonderfully. Regular trialer behavior, pushed the SS during a panic stop. But 25mph+ it accelerated like the trailer wasnt even there. Just dont beat on it, or you'll be saving for another 4L70E
if thats not one of the sexiest things ive seen idk what is..
Old 02-01-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BadAssChevy327
if your gonna call someone out at least be right. my 2wd SS has the same rear as the tbss if im not mistaken. and my SSS has towed 7,000 lbs countless countless times with no problem. tranny never getting hot on the guage. if the chevy says it can tow what it says then be sure it can and do more then that, they rate that to save there *** so you know it can do it. now if your towing something lighter then that and you cant keep it on the road then either learn how to balance your load or learn how to drive... or its a realllly windy day lol
he's right. The SSS has a 10-bolt and leaf springs, where a TBSS has a 14-bolt, 5-link, and airbags.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AeroKing
he's right. The SSS has a 10-bolt and leaf springs, where a TBSS has a 14-bolt, 5-link, and airbags.
no your both wrong, which goes back to not statin something when you dont know what your talking about, if your guessing word it right so people who read dont take your wrong info for correct info.

2wd SSS CAME WITH the 14 bolt rearend. gm thinks the 10 bolt cant handle the almighty power of a lq9 so they got the 4l65e and a 14 BOLT REAR on the 2wd model.

"The 2WD Silverado SS features a new 9.5-inch ring gear in the rear differential that will be offered in more models next year.

“This (9.5-inch ring gear) will start allowing us to put the performance levels above what we’ve had in the past,” said Michael Tulumello, vehicle line director for GM’s fullsize trucks."

have a nice day
Old 02-01-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

my mistake, i thought Silverado SS's cames with 10-bolts.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

the awd's do, 2wd got the 14
Old 02-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Registered abuser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadAssChevy327
oh noes, the 2wd has a 14 bolt. you got me on a technicality, I should hide in shame

I never said anything about the SSS not being able to tow, if anything, I made it clear that it could tow more. I pull trailers 3 to 4 days a week with my trucks, thanks for refreshing me on the towing lessons I learned 10 years ago.

Quick Reply: tb ss towing capabilities?