TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Upgraded transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded transfer case?

Does anyone know of a better transfer case of a 04 Z71 1/2 ton? I think my is going out and will need a new one soon...Any help would be great!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 AM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have the auto trac?if yes you could go with the non AT.the auto trac TC has clutch's inside of it that do wear out kinda like a posi.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Launching!

If it's a manual shifter look for the New Process 241. Electronic push button try the NP243. It's a 3/4 and 1 ton transfer case for GM vehicles, and many were found on the 4L60E so they'll bolt up in place of your current transfer case.

You'll get the usual 1:1 4HI, and a nice steep 2.72:1 4LO with big block and diesel strength.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have (2) autotrac for the 1/2 ton. One that's a local rebuild with low miles (under 2500) and one that's a remanufacture that has zero miles. They were for my 2000 silvy Z71. PM me if you are interested...they aren't heavier duty than yours but will cost way less than a new one for sure. WAY less. I can't find the link but you should see the torque ratings of these things. Crazy amounts, no reason to pay more for a "bigger one" IMO.

Why do you think yours is going bad anyway?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
...no reason to pay more for a "bigger one" IMO.
Bigger, thicker and more material of all the internal parts, better oiling pump, stronger case. Used in high torque or off-road applications...or for anyone looking to never replace a transfer case again. An example would be comparing the 4L60 to the 4L80.

I will never let a computer decide for me when I should and should not be in 4wd. By paying careful attention to the terrain in front of me, I know ahead of time if I need the extra traction from the front tires. Leave the auto 4x4 stuff for the women.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SynergyV8
Bigger, thicker and more material of all the internal parts, better oiling pump, stronger case. Used in high torque or off-road applications...or for anyone looking to never replace a transfer case again. An example would be comparing the 4L60 to the 4L80.

I will never let a computer decide for me when I should and should not be in 4wd. By paying careful attention to the terrain in front of me, I know ahead of time if I need the extra traction from the front tires. Leave the auto 4x4 stuff for the women.
I love how u know everthing.

You will not bolt a 3/4 or 1 ton case to a 60e, splines are different, it will not line up. You would have to change the input shaft in the case to use a 3/4 ton case on a 1/2 ton truck.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:54 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by SynergyV8

There are plenty of guys on the boards here (myself included) who launch at the track in 4wd...we're talking trucks that put down 700+ lb-ft of torque while brake stalling. I have never heard of a 1/2 ton transfer case breaking. These things are strong. I checked out the torque rating once awhile ago on the MFG's web site and they are rated to something like 2500 lb-ft.

The low range you talk about is pretty standard and is the same as the half ton t-cases.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Moderately Differentiated

I was using auto4wd when I first had my truck and the plunger got stuck in the axel. Haven't used it since. I prefer pushbutton 4wd over stickshift 4wd is all. If you can't trust that, you shouldn't trust EFI over carb.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by silveradol33
I love how u know everthing.

You will not bolt a 3/4 or 1 ton case to a 60e, splines are different, it will not line up. You would have to change the input shaft in the case to use a 3/4 ton case on a 1/2 ton truck.
I got a chuckle out of this. Apparently the Np241 on my Tahoe is not bolted to a 4L60E.

Do your research son before making an a$$ out of yourself. The NP241 comes in a 27 spline and 32 spline version on GM vehicles. What's the spline count on the 4L60/700R4? 27. Guess what else Mr. Know it all...it lines up too! The pattern is the same 6 bolt "Chevy" circular pattern the General always uses.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Launching!

If ya got deep pockets: http://www.atlas-tc.com

Quick Reply: Upgraded transfer case?