TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

SFA Pix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SFA Pix?

Im lookin for some pictures of SAS Silverados '99+ espically close pictures of how they got it in there. 2link 4link leaf sping what ever yall got
Old 08-24-2005, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SBChevrolet
Im lookin for some pictures of SAS Silverados '99+ espically close pictures of how they got it in there. 2link 4link leaf sping what ever yall got
Are you trying to grasp an idea of how to do it? Pictures dont do everything justice, unless you just want to get some cool pics?

Otherwise I'm sure I or someone else could advise you on how to approach this in the first place.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

well I understand the basic IDEA of how its done... and if I had the IFS already out of the way and just had to build the suspension Im sure I could do it but it is my DD and I want as little bit of down time as possible so if i have a little bit better idea of what im mounting, fabing, clearancing it might be a little easier. BTW does ur durango have a SBC and pull at the truck pulls in Ft Myers?
Old 08-25-2005, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SBChevrolet
well I understand the basic IDEA of how its done... and if I had the IFS already out of the way and just had to build the suspension Im sure I could do it but it is my DD and I want as little bit of down time as possible so if i have a little bit better idea of what im mounting, fabing, clearancing it might be a little easier. BTW does ur durango have a SBC and pull at the truck pulls in Ft Myers?
LOL nah, I forgot that guys name, he bounces around on florida4x4.com every once in a while. Cool truck though.

I could help if I could actually see the frame design and pull some tapes on it. If your just going leaf spring you could more than likely get off with welding spring buckets on the front, and welding another set of rear shackle hangers (right side up) on the inside of the frame. Off a tall guess you will be limited to a 47" spring without sub-framing.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

heres a pick of the back braket i plan to use it still would need a shackle and it ant quit the actual size but it gives an idea and it would need to be located on the inner frame rail even with the body mount right behind the wheel well. then the front braket just make a right triangle mount and place it on the frame whereevr it needs to go for your spring length. and for springs id go with something that would put the centerpin ruffly 2ft forward of the inner fender. and on the front mount if it gets put out on the last 6-8"s i would plate that part of the frame to beef it up since thats spose to be a crush zone. What setup are you looking to go with. and heres the pic.
and a link http://homepage.mac.com/darketernal/SAS.html
http://homepage.mac.com/darketernal/PhotoAlbum27.html
http://homepage.mac.com/darketernal/PhotoAlbum23.html
the truck in the links has brakets like i discribed and has 47" springs with 4" zerorates to clear 42s with 16"s of total lift.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Cheap/simple as this:

.25" thick spring buckets - $15.00/ea. (if you get serious I'll link you to these)
rear bolt on shackle hangers (just weld them on the inner side of the fram)- $5.00/ea. from junkyard

Other then that its positioning everything square, which everybody who has taken high school geometry should be able to position everything properly. You can gusset your mounts however you please, but this cuts out a lot more fab time.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black4x4
heres a pick of the back braket i plan to use it still would need a shackle and it ant quit the actual size but it gives an idea and it would need to be located on the inner frame rail even with the body mount right behind the wheel well.
Now no offense by all means, but curiousity killed the cat. How are you going to get the bolt through that design for the shackle? Doesnt look like there's enough room on the inner tab to clear a nut.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was planning to run it through the frame rail
Old 08-29-2005, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Go to yahoo and type (solid axle swap) the first link is of a guy who has done it and has very very detailed pics and directions.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Need More N2O Mod

what axle are you going to use?? are you going to use leaf spring or coil spring? That would be my starting point. if you use a f250-f350 ford you can try and reuse the brackets off the same truck. I have some pics of a mid 90s tahoe that i will dig up and post pics of

Quick Reply: SFA Pix?