TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Need Some Input!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Input!

Well, I am a senior in college majoring in Business Administration. For one of my classes, Entrepreneurship, we need to come up with a new product, idea, business, etc. and do a marketability study as well as a business plan. I have come up with an idea regarding the dust issue associated with tonneau covers, truck boxes, and gravel roads, etc. The input that I would appreciate from you guys and gals is anything regarding your dislikes about a dusty truck box. I am just trying to get a general consensus as to whether the majority that drive in dirty conditions have an issue with dust. What have you done to try and solve this problem? Did it work or not? Would you be willing to purchase a product if it solved this problem? Do you consider the dust in your truck box to be a nuisance or problem? If you guys could answer some of these questions, I would greatly appreciate the help as it would contribute to my project. Maybe, if all goes well, you may even be able to buy a product in the near future that actually works! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Import Moderator

tonneau covers work fine for me

dunno what your talking about dust, id rather have dust in the bed then on the side of the bed or any other body panel
Old 09-29-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

i know exactly what you are talking about.. anytime i drive down a dusty road dust flys up and gets in the bed coating anything in the bed with dust... really sucks! i think your product sounds like a great idea honestly... you would need to make a gasket that seals the bottom and sides of the tailgate i feel.. good idea!
Old 09-29-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by beastmode
tonneau covers work fine for me

dunno what your talking about dust, id rather have dust in the bed then on the side of the bed or any other body panel

BEASTMODE.... YOU SIR EITHER DONT GET IT OR ARE JUST BEING THE PRO VS. CON ON THIS ONE...
Old 10-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Import Moderator

Originally Posted by CHEVRACER83
BEASTMODE.... YOU SIR EITHER DONT GET IT OR ARE JUST BEING THE PRO VS. CON ON THIS ONE...
LOL thats what im saying i dont get it. is he going to do like a tonneau cover or something? sorry im a little slow
Old 10-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Teching In

beastmode, what I plan on doing is creating a product that is used in conjunction with all types of tonneau covers/toppers etc. that are already on the market. The product would keep the dust out of the inside of the bed without having to weld holes shut or caulk all seams, etc. when the tonneau is closed
Old 10-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Import Moderator

o ok, i see. i think that would be pretty cool, ill get some pics up tomorrow of my cover just for you to go off of as mine sits down in the box a little... the stake holes are actually exposed
Old 10-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Teching In

WHOA, slow down there beastmode. I am aware of all the different types of covers out there right now. I am just in the process of doing a marketability study and business plan. I am no where even close to thinking about actually engineering the product. However, I really appreciate your desire to help out!!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

hmmmm sealing up the tailgate area i think would help the most... i dont know how you plan on sealing the drain holes without caulking a plate over them... look forward to see how you are gonna do it though!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Teching In

As my idea stands, I believe the tailgate gap would have to be sealed to be used in conjunction with the new product, however, without any testing yet I am not sure if it would work without the seal or not. Besides a possible tailgate seal, I think all other holes, etc. will be able to be left alone.

Quick Reply: Need Some Input!