TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Is installing a 6" sus lift difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is installing a 6" sus lift difficult?

I have a 00 GMC Sierra ext cab Z71, I was thinking of ordering a 6" suspension lift and installing it myself or with some friends.

I have a nice garage with plenty of tools. But is this something, easy but time consuming, or difficult requiring cutting and drilling, **** like that.

On a 1 to 10 scale... 10 being the hardest.. what would you say?

And if I must have it installed, How much would this cost?

Thanks
Old 12-25-2005, 12:23 AM
Launching!

if it was a 2wd lift i would say about a 4. but since its a 4wd i would say about a 7 becuase of cutting and drilling. if you know a few things about suspension you should be ok. they all come with pretty detailed directions. if you decide to do the lift yourself, the only thing you will have to do is get an alignment done. have fun and good luck!
Old 12-25-2005, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks
Old 12-25-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just stay away from the fulldrop superlift kit. and on my procomp you needed to cut the back driver side diff mount and remove the bumpstop cups. i dont think there was any drilling of holes involved.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Its not bad at all. We did a supr lft on my buddies truck in four days only working on it about 3 hours a night after work. Turned out good, just make sure you have a grinder with cut off wheel.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

It also depends on the tools you have too. I'd consider renting a torsion bar unloading tool for your tbars, they can be dangerous. If you go with a knuckle lift such as Fabtech, Rancho or RCD it will definitely speed up your install time. Just depends what you want...
Old 01-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Need More N2O Mod

If you have the tools and time they are not too bad. I have done a few of them and havn't ran into any problems
Old 01-09-2006, 07:03 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't have the tools or time....

I tried a 4" lift on my 97 Suburban. It was a cheap-*** kit, which was part of the problem I think. Came with new t-bars, upper control arms, leaf spring blocks, shocks, and drop-brackets for the front diff. I had issues with the brake lines, couldn't figure out how to bleed them. No lift to work under, didn't have a good set of tools, the drop-brackets didn't fit right, and the shocks fit fine when they were upside down, but yeah, they were upside down.

I ended up having the truck towed to the dealer and had them do it for me. $1300 later I had a properly-installed piece of **** lift. The upper control arms would bottom out against the bump stops over medium-sized bumps on a paved street, and it was chewing up ball joints like nobody's business. Oh, and one of the brake line fittings had a hole in it from the factory. I lost the brakes when I was trying to slow down for a turn, had to pump them several times to get enough pressure to stop. When I called Rough Country the guy offered to send me a new line, but then argued with me about covering labor to have the line installed and brakes re-bled. I asked him if he would look at it any different if I had hit someone and killed them because of a factory defect, then he offered to refund me 1 hour's labor, about $70.

The lift is the primary reason I traded it about a month later. I was 17 and had no idea what I was doing, and Rough-Country lifts suck ***. It was the JC Whitney special, if that tells you anything.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Need More N2O Mod

Yeah you do pay for what you get. if you save up a little longer and get a really good kit it makes a difference
Old 01-10-2006, 07:56 AM
Teching In

That sucks about the RC lift. I had a 4.5" RC on my 91 Cherokee, and it was perfect. Everything fit and worked good, and it kinda fell right together, easy as hell. Maybe the kits for the Jeeps are better?

Anyway, back on topic, I say if you've got a decent set of tools and a shop, then install it yourself. With two helpers you oughta' be able to do it in one day; just wait to start drinking 'til AFTER it's installed!

J

Quick Reply: Is installing a 6" sus lift difficult?