TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

How much do larger tires realistically affect performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DozerDan
Dodge 'em what is your drop? Could do it like tylers. His looks pretty badass. Cut a coil off the front springs and put hangers in the back
I'm basically running a 4/8. My leaf springs are sagging pretty bad so it sits pretty damn low. I may just install the helper bags and run a **** load of psi in them, but I was trying to avoid that. Unfortunately, I heard what I expected to hear. I was thinking maybe a 33" tire wouldn't be too bad, but I guess even that is a big jump.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

i'm runnin 265/75/17 on my truck right now on some stock caddy wheels. 32.67" i didn't notice any power loss goin from 295/40/20 i do have 4.56 gears though
Old 10-27-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wny not just put is at something like a 5 inch drop in the rear, and whatever makes the front level? Will still definately look lowered and not ride like ***.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AJII
Wny not just put is at something like a 5 inch drop in the rear, and whatever makes the front level? Will still definately look lowered and not ride like ***.
The problem is, how do you recommend I do that(not being sarcastic). That sounds perfect to me, but I've heard lift shackles have problems, and I don't want to run drop leaf springs. I've though about pulling the overload and running the helper bags. That may be the thing to do.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran lift shackles for about 2 years and never had any problems at all. What have you heard?

That was probably my favorite setup. It never bottomed out with the notch, and was high enough that I didn't scrape on everything.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Can't give you any numbers, but you can tell a big difference. I went form just under a 31 to just over a 35, pretty drastic. The biggest difference I notice is to slowing down, the awesome brakes I had before, feels like any normal car now.

The transmission shifts better with the bigger tires, no more gear hunt at all. But hook a trailer behind the truck, and you can tell a huge difference in pulling power.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AJII
I ran lift shackles for about 2 years and never had any problems at all. What have you heard?

That was probably my favorite setup. It never bottomed out with the notch, and was high enough that I didn't scrape on everything.
I've heard that they can bind up on the shackle hangers(the rear leaf spring hangers). What kind did you run? The belltechs only drop the truck about a 1/2" so I may try those. They look like they're of a better quality than the DJMs too. I keep telling myself I'll never buy a DJM product again hopefully I'll take my own advice.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine we're actually DJM. Never had a problem.

When I ran drop shackles, the rear spring hanger had to be pulled out just a tad bit for it to fit in. And when I put in the lift shackle I never pushed it back, so maybe that's why mine didn't ever bind?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Import Moderator

Forget track times Mark, just do the 7" procomp

I ordered mine last week for my ext cab 2wd, can't wait to get this thing off the ground, it is going up from a 2/4. Ill be running a TR224, SST3200, LTs and most likely some 4.56s and that will be plenty enough performance for me.

Haven't decided on tire/wheel yet but it doesn't matter because I too broke to afford them

I feel you on babying the truck man... I am tired of pot holes and not being able to go through a little mud... more than anything though I hate having to jack my truck up just to change the oil or work on it
Old 11-02-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Well I can certainly tell a difference in performance on my truck. Granted its basically stock but with a taller gear and bigger tires should even everything out.

Quick Reply: How much do larger tires realistically affect performance