TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Diff girdle power level

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

How exactly did you bust the rear end? You drifting it thru corners at WOT? There's a 1300 hp turbo truck lifting the front tires on youtube still on stock rear end and countless others which is why I don't understand some busting behind a 4.8 and others living at 3x the power levels.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

I think it had alot to do with the previous owner not taking care of the truck. I got it at 96k and in the first month changed all fluids including the rear diff. The magnet was loaded with shavings and chips. The ring gear had 2 chipped teeth and the pinion gear had 1 small chip. The oil looked to be factory but didnt smell burnt or anything. My guess is the last owner beat it hard off road and never took care of it. I changed the oil to redline and drove it for another 2 months knowing it was going to need to be addressed soon. The night it broke I did 4 1/8th runs launching hard in 4x4. It survived all that but gave up the goose on the highway on ramp trying to go home.

Probably should have fixxed it before I went to the track but I was debating swaping to 4.56s and wanted to get a base line run first.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-16-2015, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Not to change the direction of this thread but.....

Whats better a girdle? or a cover that gives added oil capacity like a mag-hytec?

I have already destroyed one LSD rear end and can't seem to control my right foot very well so I need anything to help ASAP!
To answer your question, with a word......yes!!! Girdles add capacity, and typically from price your paying for higher capacity cover you may as well get girdle and have added support and extra capacity at same time!!!

When you say LSD are you talking the factory excuse for a limited slip or a good one like an eaton or an auburn??? I have seen about every part of a factory unit fail under normal dd conditions, even mine ate a set of spider gears and a cross pin after about 100k miles after i lifted the truck and started running 35's and spending more time with mud on the truck than without.... However havent had an issue out of my eaton and still looks damn near brand new since i installed it and the richmond 4.10s in the rear about 12 years and about 120k miles..... So please enlighten us!!!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok you posted while i was typing...lol nice job!!! yeah when you seen metal and chipped teeth hard launches is asking to kill something!!!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes its the garbage factory LSD but atleast its not a G80 right? I would have installed an after market LSD and gear set after this but it was all covered under warranty thank God!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your second pic the reddish tint looks like a bearing seized and over heated everything in it!!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Still may want to look into something a little stouter down the road, theyre gonna go back under the warranty with factory replacement! If they find out you have been racing it they may deny coverage under warranty!!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Dang it! you posted while I was typing

I think the red might actually be the reflection of the shirt I was wearing becaue that was 2 months before It gave up completely haha.

I knew it was going to go In fact I had an appointment to get it inspected by my local Stealer 2 weeks after it blew because I knew it was bad but wanted to see if warranty would cover it.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Plans next year are drive train upgrades before turbo. Had enough of working on broke stuff I prefer putting nice shiny go ffast parts on.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Plans next year are drive train upgrades before turbo. Had enough of working on broke stuff I prefer putting nice shiny go ffast parts on.
Dont we all!!! Between the go fast and the upgraded comfy parts ive done on my truck(went from split manual cloth light grey bench to heated power memory leather charcoal interior, with 07-13 style center seat) its always nice to do something because you want to rather than because you have to!!

Quick Reply: Diff girdle power level