TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Another clearance thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
The 285's will rub on your 2WD truck, even with the spacer, and on the stock wheels. You can make them fit by removing/trimming your front mud flaps, and a little trimming on your inner fender liners. You may also need to "massage" the metal behind the inner fenders to make room for turning.
I doubt another inch with a 2" spacer will rub bad at all. We shall see.

-Heath
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

I've never lifted a 2wd 1/2 ton before, sorry it's not my realm of questions to answer. I've lowered them before though.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Well just to be sure they'll clear i got my eye on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32

Always heard great things about CST, and this will do the trick!

-Heath
Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hmatiak
I doubt another inch with a 2" spacer will rub bad at all. We shall see.

-Heath
It all depends on what kind of rims you're running. You can run a 285/70/17 without rubbing and run a 275/55/20 and have rubbing just due to the offset and backspacing your rims have.

As far as getting 33's to fit, good luck without at least a 3" lift. The only way would be if you ran stock rims and even then it will probably rub. I speak from experience. My 2wd silverado was lifted at one point.

I also have a set of 3" fabtech spindles for sale if you wanted those 33's to fit for sure.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no rub what so ever. 285 70 R 17 BFGs

I'll get some pics of it flexed out w/ the 295 70 17 terra grapplers tomm. I think they my rub on the bed when fully flexed (inside sidewall rubs bed inside).
Old 06-18-2008, 10:54 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by InchUp
Ahh yes...the "Best For Girls" (BFG) All-Terrain. We at work figured out what BFG really means, lol, because they vibrate so bad on the highway they tickle your girl sitting in the passenger seat. I can't stand BFG AT's, no one really can at work. They wobble and balance worse than any other all terrain type tire I've ever mounted. It's too bad they're so popular, it just shows the level of intelligence our country has. Along those same lines it also shows why the Ford F-150 is America's number 1 selling truck so many years running...America's full of idiots haha. But we're in a General Motors forum board so I know I'm at least talking to some worthwhile people.

Anywho, I don't think you're going to want the 285/70R17 from Nitto. Even though I absolutely love the Terra Grappler and have put them now on 8 different trucks of mine and my friends or family, that particular size from Nitto is only available in an E-rated 10-ply. Much too stiff, I'm sure, for your needs even if you do haul all the time. If you're hauling over 10,000lbs in your 1/2 ton all the time you need a different truck. Might I recommend the Bridgestone Duler A/T REVO. It's a P-rated 6-ply 285/70R17 and it is my all-time favorite tire. It is the only Bridgestone/Firestone tire, I think, worth buying. They come with a 50k mile warranty and has a very powerful grip considering the smooth ride characteristics, especially in a P-rated tire. The REVO is probably your best shot at finding a set of good tires under $800 for the 4. The only tire that comes to mind remotely close in smoothness of ride would be the BFG Rugged Trail, also in that size, typically for about $20 bucks more per tire.
x2...I didn't even see this post before, but those BFG's are terrible to balance. And he's right about load range E tires on a 1/2 ton, don't go past load range C, or your truck will not ride well, and fuel mileage drops also. If you tow or go off road, get load range C, if you don't, get P-rated tires.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:06 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31

no rub what so ever. 285 70 R 17 BFGs

I'll get some pics of it flexed out w/ the 295 70 17 terra grapplers tomm. I think they my rub on the bed when fully flexed (inside sidewall rubs bed inside).
Your truck is 4 wheel drive, his is 2 wheel drive. Apples and oranges.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

didn't the CCs come w/ t bar front suspension like the 4wd? As to the guy who doesn't like the BFGs must be cause he doesn't know how to mount them, 60K on my BFG MTs and no vibration at 90, dunno what to tell you. I've had plenty of good luck with the ATs too, no vibes at 80 to 90 on them either and we're getting over 80K miles out of them on 3/4 ton diesels (it is a GM diesel so it weights about 500 lbs more then a F-150 but still they call it a 3/4 ton)
Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Some came with coils, and some came with torsion bars. Got a buddy has the same truck except the chevy version, and it has the torsion bars. One is suppose to be the sport suspension and the other the trailering.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31
As to the guy who doesn't like the BFGs must be cause he doesn't know how to mount them
I've worked in the tire business since I was 16, believe me, I know how to mount a tire. No amount of road force balancing will ever get me to put hard earned money into a BFGoodrich All-Terrain tire again. I bought a set when I was young and stupid, and now 5 years later they're in the corner of the garage with motors on them because that's all I found a use for them. I don't think it would be a stretch to say I've seen 1000 BFG AT's in my experiences of mounting and balancing them. Again, I say, it's unfortunate that they're so popular when there are many MANY more tire choices out there that ride smoother and balance better.

Quick Reply: Another clearance thread