TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Another clearance thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another clearance thread

So i am planning on just going back to the stock rear shackle and adding a 2" coil spacer up front. Currently running a 275/55/20 = 32". Planning on running a 285/70/17 = 33". Just wanted to see if anyone had the same setup. I don't see a problem clearing another inch, just concerned it will still have the front factory rake and that the 2" spacer might not do it. Thanks

-Heath
Old 06-17-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

My 285/70s were a little big for the factory setup. the tire shop had to crank the torsion keyes till the truck was level. the tires did still rub when they were articulating (especially offroad) and i had to trim the plastic inner fenders as far as i could and they still rubbed. But DAMN they looked good!. it is def doable, just get ready to do a little trimming.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Launching!

I hope not to trim at all. I guess you could say im going for the filled out look. Realy fill up the wheel wells. Maybe InchUp will chime in, he seems to be the tire guru.

-Heath
Old 06-17-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i understan. the trimming isnt at all noticeable, but i know how you feel. the 33s will really make it look perfect, i think they are exactly the right size for the truck. goog luck.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

If I ever don't see a thread right away just shoot me a PM. My PM's alert my email and my phone gets an email alert so in a way, sending me a PM notifies me by phone rather quickly. Just don't blast my PM box full of spam.

Anyways, 285/70R17's I bolt on weekly to stock trucks going bigger, but on 4x4's. Since you mentioned coil spacer, I assume you're 2wd. They will rub without the spacer so plan ahead to get the spacer in before you bolt on the tires. Make sure the 285's are going on your stock OEM rims, or at least 17x7's with the same backspacing and/or offset as stock. That's your best chance at not rubbing at all.

With the 2" coil spacer up front and stock height in the back, 285/70R17's will fit rather well and will definitely get you the stuffed look like after Thanksgiving dinner. If I were in your shoes I'd put the spacer in and go back to the stock shackle in the back, then go get tires, then finish with an alignment so it's all taken care of. Any time you change your ride height, get an alignment. With tire prices these days I don't understand why more people don't invest in a $50 dollar alignment to help keep the wear of the tires even and traction planted. Oh well.

Hope I could be of help, just ask if there's anything needing clarification.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Launching!

There he is, i knew you would pop your head in. No need to blow up your phone.

I am going back with a set of the stock alloys and the stock hanger. My only real trouble is with the spacer. A few of the places you can order from state that a aftermarket control arm on either side is required with the 2" setup. Any ideas why on that? Also what do you think a good and decently inexpensive tire would be for towing and interstate, but still have enough bight to get me to the trail heads and back pulling 8k worth of a rockcrawler and tools? Thanks for the input, ans no worried on the alignment.

-Heath
Old 06-18-2008, 12:00 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BFG All terain, or better Nitto Terra Grappler

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...raGrappler.jpg
Old 06-18-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Ahh yes...the "Best For Girls" (BFG) All-Terrain. We at work figured out what BFG really means, lol, because they vibrate so bad on the highway they tickle your girl sitting in the passenger seat. I can't stand BFG AT's, no one really can at work. They wobble and balance worse than any other all terrain type tire I've ever mounted. It's too bad they're so popular, it just shows the level of intelligence our country has. Along those same lines it also shows why the Ford F-150 is America's number 1 selling truck so many years running...America's full of idiots haha. But we're in a General Motors forum board so I know I'm at least talking to some worthwhile people.

Anywho, I don't think you're going to want the 285/70R17 from Nitto. Even though I absolutely love the Terra Grappler and have put them now on 8 different trucks of mine and my friends or family, that particular size from Nitto is only available in an E-rated 10-ply. Much too stiff, I'm sure, for your needs even if you do haul all the time. If you're hauling over 10,000lbs in your 1/2 ton all the time you need a different truck. Might I recommend the Bridgestone Duler A/T REVO. It's a P-rated 6-ply 285/70R17 and it is my all-time favorite tire. It is the only Bridgestone/Firestone tire, I think, worth buying. They come with a 50k mile warranty and has a very powerful grip considering the smooth ride characteristics, especially in a P-rated tire. The REVO is probably your best shot at finding a set of good tires under $800 for the 4. The only tire that comes to mind remotely close in smoothness of ride would be the BFG Rugged Trail, also in that size, typically for about $20 bucks more per tire.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Launching!

I saw the revo, looked like a deal.

Still the question remains, whats with the companies saying that you need after aftermarket control arms with the 2" spacer? Any thought?

-Heath
Old 06-18-2008, 03:42 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 285's will rub on your 2WD truck, even with the spacer, and on the stock wheels. You can make them fit by removing/trimming your front mud flaps, and a little trimming on your inner fender liners. You may also need to "massage" the metal behind the inner fenders to make room for turning.

Quick Reply: Another clearance thread