TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

Teaching myself Tig welding

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:48 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I have both, they just do different things. The TIG is much cleaner and you have much more control and is the best (arguably only) way to do stainless or aluminum. You can have MIG setups for stainless and aluminum but they suck for your typical garage hobbiest. On steel, MIG is still king to me anyway, its just so much faster and cheaper to do. I use 3x the gas on the TIG as I do on the MIG, not to mention a lot slower.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
I have both, they just do different things. The TIG is much cleaner and you have much more control and is the best (arguably only) way to do stainless or aluminum. You can have MIG setups for stainless and aluminum but they suck for your typical garage hobbiest. On steel, MIG is still king to me anyway, its just so much faster and cheaper to do. I use 3x the gas on the TIG as I do on the MIG, not to mention a lot slower.
In the dirt racing world, all the Chromeoloy 4130 chassis are tig welded, the Carbon DOM tube chassis are mig welded
Old 04-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake75
I'm about tempted to get a mig and call it good. Tig is kicking my *** lol
Don't give up. Once you find your puddle, its a lot easier.

True, though I have my spool gun dialed in pretty good.

Originally Posted by wretched73
In the dirt racing world, all the Chromeoloy 4130 chassis are tig welded, the Carbon DOM tube chassis are mig welded
Have they ever tig welded DOM?
Old 04-13-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

I'm not sure if they ever have Tig welded DOM. I'm 100% sure its possible but I can't say what/if there are any advantages compared to MIG, when talking about DOM
Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

TIG would just give you more control and is cleaner. MIG would work just fine as far as strength goes if done correctly.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:44 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wretched73
I'm not sure if they ever have Tig welded DOM. I'm 100% sure its possible but I can't say what/if there are any advantages compared to MIG, when talking about DOM
Gotcha.
I thought I had seen it somewhere but I think it was a high dollar build using 4130 for Ultra 4

TIG would just give you more control and is cleaner. MIG would work just fine as far as strength goes if done correctly.
You are correct

Off topic: Just noticed your a vendor, nice man.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:20 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm a 100% self taught welder on both mig and tig. Bottom line, it takes time, practice, more time and experimenting with your machine.

When you look online at all the welding threads and pictures that post up, pay attention to final appearance and you will notice that the weld bead is almost like a signature. If you look closely, you will see differences in almost everyones weld. The first thing I always tell someone who comes over and wants a lesson or two is that trying to make an exact replica of another guys weld will almost always result in you pulling your hair out with frustration. What you should be doing is getting an understanding of the process and how to make a strong weld. Once you are able to "weld properly" the appearance will fall into place with practice. In the beginning, I spent hours wondering why my welds didn't look like that guys or this guys. It wasn't until I backed off and cleared my head to focus on making a proper weld that I actually starting showing progress in weld appearance.

The biggest mistake for the guys focused on copying anothers final appearance is that they will find that guys machine settings and torch/filler set up and weld with that for hours focused on making a copy without ever changing a single thing. Do yourself a favor and practice while making changes to your set up. You will likely find that your style works better with some combination of settings that is different. Once you become a better welder, then you will find that going back to a setup that is successful for one guy may be successful for you. The point I'm trying to make is that as your skill gets better, you will likely need to change somethings as you progress.

I hope I explained what I have in my head.....lol
Old 05-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So i am still banging away. Learning alot. Most recently i switched the frequency from 125hz to 150hz. It made my welds look better and the puddle flow better
Old 05-12-2017, 04:43 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Crank it up even higher than that and see what your results are. 300hz is not out of the realm of reality.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been practicing at work with aluminium. I can get it done but like mentioned it looks nothing like a pro's weld. I do alot of practice with welding pop cans butts together. It is not easy but helps with pedal control as it's super thin and easy to blow through. Also it's alot cheaper material to obtain. **** drink 2 beers and weld the cans together. Then go to the more expensive test material and you will see improvement. At least I did.
The following users liked this post:
wretched73 (12-08-2017)