Texas We've Seceded from the Union

Need advice on state vehicle inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on state vehicle inspection

Im coming from out of state and I lived in a rural area that did not require a emissions check. Come to find out I may or may not need to do an emissions check here in TX with my mandated annual vehicle inspection, depending on where I go to have it done.

Here is my dilemma....I have an 2003 Silverado with a gas 6.0L. Its got a small (.512/.519) Crane cam, LT headers and rear 02's deleted and turned off. Its all tuned on EFI Live by BB Performance and its actually very mellow and runs perfect as a daily driver. The problem is that I am not sure what the standards are in order to pass this state inspection?

If anyone knows of an inspection shop somewhere between the Dallas and Greenville area that can help with getting me through this process, it would be much appreciated.

Please PM me, Thanks
Old 02-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Teching In

So I did a little more digging. Since my home address is in Hunt County, I would be exempt from the emissions portion of the vehicle inspection and only undergo a safety inspection, according to the this. Is this correct?

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/NewToTexas.htm

Can somebody that lives in Hunt County confirm the extent of their vehicle inspection, that happens to have after-market exhaust work? Again....much appreciated.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In that link there is a list of what they inspect, which says exhaust emissions equipment. I would think that if your threw a cat shell on there you would be good to go. I'm curious about it also.

What part of SD are you moving from?
Old 02-06-2015, 03:55 AM
Teching In

It seems that if I take it to a rural area in Hunt Co it's nothing more than a safety inspection.

I live or lived in Alpine but my truck was registered in Descanso.