TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

OEM Navigation upgrade for GMT800's

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lux amp

Originally Posted by camcamaro1991
RPO UQ7 = "non lux/premium amp" I was a Mercedes Benz master tech for years, I don't trust parts guys period. Still not convinced pull your center console and look at the Bose amp the shape will tell you if it is non lux/premium or lux see the pic

Please IM me if you have any further questions.

Ok I looked it is a non lux as I expected

Now really the sound is better then most vehicles as is , i have a Macintosh 7.1 system and blueray player at home, i like a good sounding amp so really how much better is the lux ?

I fix computers and laptops and have rewired connectors 1/20 that size, i handy with electronics Is it worth going through rewiring to upgrade ?

Most of all I can't find any used lux amps for suburbans or Yukon or Denali on ebay just new and my local gm dealers don't program anything you don't buy from then :/

Last edited by Jsfet; 11-15-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jsfet
Ok I looked it is a non lux as I expected

Now really the sound is better then most vehicles as is , i have a Macintosh 7.1 system and blueray player at home, i like a good sounding amp so really how much better is the lux ?

I fix computers and laptops and have rewired connectors 1/20 that size, i handy with electronics Is it worth going through rewiring to upgrade ?

Most of all I can't find any used lux amps for suburbans or Yukon or Denali on ebay just new and my local gm dealers don't program anything you don't buy from then :/
Yes the LUX is much higher quality sound, in my option it's worth it. (note the speakers DO NOT have to changed) If you decided to upgrade to LUX find the correct Bose LUX amp to match your "interior space" as new amp's cost $$$ (as you stated they are harder to find). Also the used LUX amps don't tend to accept new coding, for example updating a crewcab lux amp to a Yukon XL, additionally there are more parts required for the LUX upgrade but are fairly cheap. I will updating mine to LUX sometime next year even though it’s much harder to find a crewcab LUX amp.

I agree, most GM dealers don't want to program anything but you are the "paying customer" you dictate what they do, not the other way around!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:58 PM

Ok another issue I really want to install rear camera and video input, now I buy used 15800000 on ebay

I don't now what truck it comes form, when I go to purchase the PAC for video inputs it ask for year model of truck. also I tried asking seller on ebay he wants year model of truck, but I have a 2003 yukon xl and the nav is from a newer truck so I can't give them that info

Any suggestions ? Or know of a better device for what I looking to do ?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:03 PM

Any one know what model "PAC" video interface ?

for the 1580000 gm navigation unit

Any one ?
Old 11-21-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jsfet
Any one know what model "PAC" video interface ?

for the 1580000 gm navigation unit

Any one ?
I believe the correct PAC part # is VCI-GM2 Pac VCI-GM2 LINK
however in the compatibility notes it states "Not compatible with Denso Navigation systems" I suggest call Pac Audios tech support before you order.

How to install the video interface, Before you begin, you will need an optional SPDT relay, Radio Shack part# RSU-12131470 (special order) or equivalent and 4 female quick disconnect connectors, Radio Shack part# 64-3058 or equivalent.Video Interface LINK

If this works please get back to me and I will add it to the write up

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 11-21-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Hmm. I find it interesting that any of these write ups I find only deal with adding the Navigation with the luxury amp. I don't want the navigation deck, period. Factory nav systems up here are utterly useless and I would be driving "offroad" most of the time according to it. And many luxury system equipped trucks out there do not have it either like a lot of Denali pickups I look at. I would suppose most of the write up would be the same beyond the navigation specific stuff. I have searched the lux add on all over the net and only come across lux/nav write ups. I would still need the lux amp and the appropriate head unit then and do the appropriate wiring changes.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Hmm. I find it interesting that any of these write ups I find only deal with adding the Navigation with the luxury amp. I don't want the navigation deck, period. Factory nav systems up here are utterly useless and I would be driving "offroad" most of the time according to it. And many luxury system equipped trucks out there do not have it either like a lot of Denali pickups I look at. I would suppose most of the write up would be the same beyond the navigation specific stuff. I have searched the lux add on all over the net and only come across lux/nav write ups. I would still need the lux amp and the appropriate head unit then and do the appropriate wiring changes.
Ok not sure what your "exactly asking" GM Nav systems can have 5 types of Nav's for the GMT800's, theres not just a "LUX only system".

Non TNR or TNR Nav units
UQ3/UQ5 (internal amp, not for Bose vehicles, not available for non-TNR)
UQ7 Bose, non lux/premium amp
Y91/Y92 Bose, Lux amp

Next:I believe this was GMs first Nav system so yeah its limited, besides most "vehicle" Nav systems don't have off road mapping, either talk to NAVTEQ, buy a military hummer navi system or portable aftermarket system and get back to us!

Next: most GMT800 vehicles did not get the Nav system, I believe it was a dealer installed option, and wasn't relased until 2005.

Currently I am using a non lux amp with a non lux Nav head unit in my UQ7 truck, also I am in the process of installing a Nav in UQ3/UQ5 truck non Bose.

IM me I will do my best to help you
Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not really asking anything but just stating something. I was thinking I would add the luxury amp to my 04's Bose system and in doing so not add the factory naviagation. I have zero desire for the GM navigation system. I just want a regular old deck in the truck..... which would also has to come from a luxury system. No one talks about the luxury amp change without talking about the nav but it would make sense that regardless you would need a Y91/Y92 optioned head unit and amplifier. I figured that much out on my own and probably can do the rest too.

That being said, I was stating that all write ups I find are geared only towards adding navigation in conjunction with doing the luxury Bose upgrade. I just find it odd that no one else bothers to add just the luxury amp to their truck and not add the navigation.

And I don't mean I am off roading either with this navigation.... It just does not have any of the roads properly mapped up here so half the time I am "off road" on a major highway according the nav. Works fine probably for those of you in the States but it's a waste of time and money in Canada. You can go get a 2013 off the lot with navigation and they are still useless so not a lot of hope for these older ones.

Thanks for the offer though!

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 11-21-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wink

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
I am not really asking anything but just stating something. I was thinking I would add the luxury amp to my 04's Bose system and in doing so not add the factory naviagation. I have zero desire for the GM navigation system. I just want a regular old deck in the truck..... which would also has to come from a luxury system. No one talks about the luxury amp change without talking about the nav but it would make sense that regardless you would need a Y91/Y92 optioned head unit and amplifier. I figured that much out on my own and probably can do the rest too.

That being said, I was stating that all write ups I find are geared only towards adding navigation in conjunction with doing the luxury Bose upgrade. I just find it odd that no one else bothers to add just the luxury amp to their truck and not add the navigation.

And I don't mean I am off roading either with this navigation.... It just does not have any of the roads properly mapped up here so half the time I am "off road" on a major highway according the nav. Works fine probably for those of you in the States but it's a waste of time and money in Canada. You can go get a 2013 off the lot with navigation and they are still useless so not a lot of hope for these older ones.

Thanks for the offer though!

You can upgrade to the LUX amp and run a normal LUX GM radio, its done from the factory that with that configuration, infact as you stated most of the LUX Y91/Y92 vehicles don't have the TNR units (respectfully I don't see what the issue is?) just follow the LUX amp section in post #5, then install a Y91/Y92 head unit (non-navi), off the top of my head I don't have the part numbers for Y91/Y92 non-navi head units. The TNR is still a nice unit and will work without the Nav disc, it could just be a touch screen radio head unit.

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 11-21-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camcamaro1991

You can upgrade to the LUX amp and run a normal LUX GM radio, its done from the factory that with that configuration, infact as you stated most of the LUX Y91/Y92 vehicles don't have the TNR units (respectfully I don't see what the issue is?) just follow the LUX amp section in post #5, then install a Y91/Y92 head unit (non-navi), off the top of my head I don't have the part numbers for Y91/Y92 non-navi head units. The TNR is still a nice unit and will work without the Nav disc, it could just be a touch screen radio head unit.
There is no issue, so don't worry about it. I just always found it interesting that no one included the lux amp upgrade without the navigation in any discussions about doing the swap. Mostly I suppose for the reason as you stated being having the part numbers for the non navigation luxury units making junk yarding easier. Would be a p/o to buy a deck ( because they look like any other) and get it home to find that it is just a regular premium deck versus a luxury unit. Like I said though, I am perfectly capable of figuring these things out on my own, lol.

I must be one of a million because I don't like navigation or touch screen decks in anything. That's not to say however I don't want the system in the truck to sound a bit better.

Cheers.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 11-21-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation upgrade for GMT800's