TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

Installing 06 Chevy E-fans on a 01 Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scootyboy, this is an awesome post! Did this setup cool your Suburban well? I have the blacbear harness Im putting on my 'O2 2500HD 6.0L. I was told by the guy doing my tune that I need to figure out how to get my fans to kick on high instead of low when both fans come on. First of all is this necessary? I don't know why blackbear would make a harness that wont turn the fans on correctly. They get a lot of good reviews so I dont see the prob. If its necessary what do I need to do to the harness to fix the issue? His suggestion is making me hold up on the install until I have a good resolution. Thanks for any help and again great post.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biggreddtruck
Scootyboy, this is an awesome post! Did this setup cool your Suburban well? I have the blacbear harness Im putting on my 'O2 2500HD 6.0L. I was told by the guy doing my tune that I need to figure out how to get my fans to kick on high instead of low when both fans come on. First of all is this necessary? I don't know why blackbear would make a harness that wont turn the fans on correctly. They get a lot of good reviews so I dont see the prob. If its necessary what do I need to do to the harness to fix the issue? His suggestion is making me hold up on the install until I have a good resolution. Thanks for any help and again great post.
That's the way the factory fans work. I haven't had any problems with mine when they're both on low. If you're putting the 06+ fans on, then you're also swapping out to the 34" radiator, which will help as well.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe the factory harness triggers both fans at the same time but changes speeds from low to high. And the aftermarket harnesses trigger one fan on high and then trigger the second fan on high speed if necessary.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Is there any way to run 05 fans on a 02 without switching to the 34" radiator? Or is that a absolute must?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:46 PM

uh.....I think you can trim em down, but I just got the LS-1 set up and called it even.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottyBoy
This is where you will tie in your relay (or trigger wire if using a Blackbear harness). The relay needs to be wired as follows:
86-Green AC wire
85-Ground
87-Ground
30-Blue trigger wire on OEM fan relay pack

And here is how your relay should look.
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy
Now the low speed fan trigger needs to be connected to the PCM.
And one more thing, if your truck has the 105 amp alternator, I strongly suggest that you upgrade to the 130 amp or 145 amp version. I have the 130 amp one in mine, and I am noticing my volts guage drop from 14 down to 12 or 13 when both fans are on and I am idling. The volts will increase if I rev the engine though. I am planning on upgrading my alternator when I get more funds. I have since upgraded he stock alternator wire. Got rid of the stock 8 guage wire and installed a 2 guage wire, which does help with the voltage drop some.
Excellent Write up!!! I have 2 follow up Questions

I didn't see it mentioned Which Relay did you use???

Did You ever do the wire up grade with the 130 Amp ALT and did it Help???
Old 11-29-2011, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

I just switched to the 34" radiator and got the 05 e fans and factory harness. I'm going to try to install exactly like this thread. Which relay did you use? Thanks.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the '05 V8 and V6 radiators? I was given a complete radiator electric fan combo out of a 6.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Team Paulie
uh.....I think you can trim em down, but I just got the LS-1 set up and called it even.
I'm getting the staggered side x side ls1 efans out of a '00 camaro. Is that the ones your talking about? Of so, is it a direct fit for a '00 rcsb? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

this is exactly what i was looking for... awesome write up and thanks for the info...maybe im just an idiot but i heard that you had to get the computer programmed to trigger the fans...i have a 2002 and can get my hands on a few different scan tools and if it does have to be programmed id like to know if i would have to send it out or if i could do it with a scan tool

Quick Reply: Installing 06 Chevy E-fans on a 01 Chevy