TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

How to: Make traction bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timmay208
you can get those links on ebay or any tractor store. Tons of diesel guys make them the same way

Im in process of building my own bars right now same way just slightly different parts
Awesome, I was hoping to hear that plenty of people actually do it this way, it looks like a solid design after all. Where did you and/or LSGUNSS find the pipe/bar that makes up the base of the traction bar, and what are its dimensions? I realize I can search on google for "steel bar" and such but I wasn't sure if it is actually a specific type of bar, or if a certain type of metal is better than another for this. I figured it would be better to get the specs from someone who has made, or is making them.

Originally Posted by BRE
You essentially wanna stay with the angle of your driveshaft.
That is actually what I figured the proper angle would be, thank you for confirming that!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:30 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Very nice write up!!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Teching In

It sounds like the people having problems with cal-tracs not lifting the front or not planting the tires don't have the bars set up correctly. There's cars with 1000+ horsepower with just cal tracs and shocks that flat out dead hook. I'm not saying these don't work or won't help anybody, but I would think there's more geometry than what's been used in this for a successful suspension. This sounds like something more for people on a very small budget and not making much more than 400 horsepower or so.......just my thoughts.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 PM
formerly 2000blackcamaross (6-25-2013)

Originally Posted by TODD SPANGLER
It sounds like the people having problems with cal-tracs not lifting the front or not planting the tires don't have the bars set up correctly. There's cars with 1000+ horsepower with just cal tracs and shocks that flat out dead hook. I'm not saying these don't work or won't help anybody, but I would think there's more geometry than what's been used in this for a successful suspension. This sounds like something more for people on a very small budget and not making much more than 400 horsepower or so.......just my thoughts.
Thanks for you input. I agree this isn't a fix all for traction on every car or truck and you are right caltrac's work on most cars/trucks. I still don't like the idea of how it loads just the spring and not the frame. I also think if 1000HP pulling trucks use the same setup that I am running it should do ok for my little HP truck.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Big difference in suspension setup between a drag druck and pulling truck. But im sure those will work well in your low hp truck. +1 for thinking out of the box tho..
Old 12-28-2013, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

subbn so I wont forget where this is..
Old 12-28-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks legit. How much it run ya to build them?
Old 06-19-2014, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGUNSS
I just tried a length and found one that worked. I wanted them as long as I could so it would "push up on the front" and "Set" the rear without binding. I found a length that wouldn't bind and went with it. There is math you can do and figure it out but I was never a wiz in Geometry.

I'm really interested in making a set of these for my truck but have some questions?

1.) since its a hard mount setup is there any road noise or vibrations from them being installed?

2.) how did you find out what length was good for your truck?

3.) if I installed mounts on lower plates from my flip kit and the frame on the other side the bars would be angled in a little would that be ok?

4.) are you having any issues with ground clearance since the bars hang low?
Old 12-26-2014, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Interesting
Old 12-26-2014, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

I made my own as well, very similar I used 7/8" rod ends and and 1" tubing. They worked great until my forward mounts got ripped off, trying to stop my rear end from twisting. I built them stronger and no more issues.

Quick Reply: How to: Make traction bars