TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

How to log AFR via serial in HPTuners

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Modern Barbarian
The way I have seen this done is to bring it in on a serial port that HP tuners can see. There is a video on youtube by Goat Rope Garage that covers this exact thing. I went and found the link for you. this should help immensely.

https://youtu.be/mGcEw29XZBQ
Thank you! I subscribe to his channel and have watched that video a million times and all that I can figure is that I have the wrong type of Com Port. I have searched for months to no avail. I am taking my laptop to a SME and see fi they can help.

Originally Posted by shakenfake
That video never worked for me. Something about it was different and I can't quite remember.

Maybe it was the same but I swear there was something off about the video.
Thanks!

If you try it and it doesn't work, let me know. I am a member of his patreon trying to learn to do this tuning thing better, so he answers questions for me via email. I can ask about this one.
See above and thank you!
Old 05-09-2023, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,171 Likes on 891 Posts

If you use Putty you can determine if you are actually getting signal from the cable.

Does it just read unknown device or does it actually say a device?
Old 05-09-2023, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you use Putty you can determine if you are actually getting signal from the cable.

Does it just read unknown device or does it actually say a device?

I have no idea what putty is and what you are asking. Please be more specific.

And I know I am getting signal to the computer because HP Tuners works. I mentioned that above.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm this may be somewhat advanced.

Could you please attach a screenshot of your USB devices and your COM devices open in device manager like I have in step 2? (Pretty sure step 2 I can’t see when replying on mobile) If when you plug in your serial to USB cable into the computer and it reads “Unknown Device” that is your issue.

Basically you have everything correct wiring wise but when you hit “go” on HPTuners it disappears? My thought is that the cable is not actually connected.

Putty is a software you can download that can communicate with serial devices such as your wideband. There are ways that it can show if you are getting a signal from the wideband or not to double check if the serial is actually working.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

You have to tell hp tuners what come port to use. It's a bitch. Google setting up com ports for details.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm this may be somewhat advanced.

Could you please attach a screenshot of your USB devices and your COM devices open in device manager like I have in step 2? (Pretty sure step 2 I can’t see when replying on mobile) If when you plug in your serial to USB cable into the computer and it reads “Unknown Device” that is your issue.

Basically you have everything correct wiring wise but when you hit “go” on HPTuners it disappears? My thought is that the cable is not actually connected.

Putty is a software you can download that can communicate with serial devices such as your wideband. There are ways that it can show if you are getting a signal from the wideband or not to double check if the serial is actually working.
Man, I have not posted photos in forums in years. lol Teach me!

Like I said before, in my original post above, my com ports are totally different and I think I need to get that fixed:
"The only discrepancy that I can find is in step number 2. My OS looks the same as yours, but my USB ports are their own line item and not incorporated into the COM line item.
That line item is called Universal Serial Bus Controllers with three subsets; Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft), USB Composite Device, USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)."

Once I get the Com port fixed and if that does not work, I'll check out putty.

Remind me how to post photos and I'll show you what I got.

Thanks again!!!!!
Old 05-09-2023, 11:37 PM
TECH Junkie

In the reply you should be able to see a tiny picture frame. Click it and you can browse your folder.

This is mobile but same principle. I think the paperclip option also can upload photos.

If you can’t figure it out PM me.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

In the reply you should be able to see a tiny picture frame. Click it and you can browse your folder.

This is mobile but same principle. I think the paperclip option also can upload photos.

If you can’t figure it out PM me.

Thanks brother! Took the computer to my computer guy and he got the com ports all dialed in. I am about to check to see if it is working.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you try it and it doesn't work, let me know. I am a member of his patreon trying to learn to do this tuning thing better, so he answers questions for me via email. I can ask about this one.

My IT said the com ports were having issues and they were and still are. Nothing shows up in the device manager, but my IT swears that he installed drivers for the usb to serial com port, but the device manager shows no com ports listed even after showing hidden hardware, etc.
I texted my IT guy and I'm going to show him.

I tried rebooting with the USB plugged in and nothing. It keeps kicking the channel out. I connected and added the channel again and as soon as I start scanning it kicks rocks.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Have you tried a different one? It took me 2 or 3 iterations of cables before one worked.

Quick Reply: How to log AFR via serial in HPTuners