what's this amp worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's this amp worth?

I got quite the dilemma. I just fried this amp:
http://www.drdetailshop.com/vd2500.1.htm

for $280 i can send it back to directed and have them fix it. Is it worth it? I figure a new somewhat decent amp will cost around $150 so no matter what, ill be spending at least that. I know this is more personal opinion, but is it worth the extra $130 to have this really good amp instead of a 'decent' amp? Obviously, if i can sell this amp for more than $280 then no matter what it is worth having fixed, but would it be worth that much? more?

Added factor: Scott on GMfullsize thinks i fried this amp because my mtx black golds (150w rms each) could not handle the 1500w rms so the ohm load dropped and fried the amp. If this is true, I would need to buy new subs so that is added cost. Or I could throw this viper amp away, and buy a new amp matching these black gold subs' needs.
But this amp also could have fried for other reasons.

HELP ME DECIDE!!! thanks for any opinions
Old 07-23-2007, 08:36 PM
apple bottom jeans

The subs didn't blow because there was too much power. What was the voice coil configuration of the subs and how was it wired? That amp is NOT 1 ohm stable and you may have wired it that way.

If your looking for a new amp in that power range(1500 at 4 ohms) my guess woud be around 300 - 350
Old 07-23-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never heard of that particular brand myself. At those power levels I would think the the speakers would go long before the amp. Like the first time you turned it up. How long was it installed before it went out. Try this. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xJDNP9N...20&cc=07&avf=N I get my stuff here, it has the full warranty and is discounted. I would toss the amp, but before doing so open it up and take a look around. It may have just fried the main ground to the main board. I had an amp do that once, actually it did it three times then stopped working completely. good luck
Old 07-23-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here i just found this. http://www.solarcraftaudio.com/ampsg.htm As i suspected the it's a pos amp. No offense, but you dont sell an amp for 800 bucks then put it on sale for 400. Its a different model but you get the point.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Drop don't try to fix something that is already broke. Take the hit and buy something else or try and sell the amp to someone you don't know for parts. You are putting more time and energy into a crappy amp then it would take to just buy a new amp. Stick with JL Audio, MTX, Kicker, and stay away from those off brands. Just because that link SAYS its a $1200 amp, doesn't mean it is.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 PM
apple bottom jeans

What the hell? Directed makes very good amps for the money...certainly better then emptyx.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

i appreciate the help and opinions from everyone but just to clarify. Those saying this amp sucks i think might not have gotten into the car audio scene before Viper was around. Viper was a premier car audio sub company of Directed (orion, polk audio). the amp is very much likely to have the power it is rated at and should be a very nice amp, just old. it is NOT like one of those Legacy brands that say 2000watts peak! and really have like 100w. So for those trying to help me to decide that aren't sure about this amps true specs...just ASSUME that i know what i am talking about or at least pretend that i do and base your opinion that this is a very nice, 2500w rms @ 2 ohm, 1500w rms @ 4 ohm amplifier. so IF that were true...think it is worth the near $300 to fix and buy new subs? i think the deal breaker will be if they warantee their refurbishing in case this same thing happens again.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry I didn't mean to say that the BRAND Viper was crappy, I was merely saying that your specific amp was crappy. If you can get a warranty I would go with that. I like MTX, I think its a great brand for the money. I have had a lot of luck with the brands that I listed. Directed makes great stuff as well, I have never used anything of theres amp wise, only 6x9 speakers. And you are right about the Legacy or BOSS amps with the 2,000,000,000 watts of peak power.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And I just thought that the $1200 price tag in the link was just a little excess. I just think people should know that just because there is a MSRP doesn't mean that is what the product is worth.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SmokedSierra01
And I just thought that the $1200 price tag in the link was just a little excess. I just think people should know that just because there is a MSRP doesn't mean that is what the product is worth.
100% agreed upon there, but i would bet this amp still costs a good bet new. and you might be right about the crappy amp. i emailed the old owner to see how long he had it. if he had it since new, it is probably something i did (it probably is something i did anyway...i shouldnt be allowed to have nice things)

Quick Reply: what's this amp worth?