STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Time for new speakers, What should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
You're the only person I've talked to that knows anything about spring specials and you know more than any info I've found. I would have liked to pick your brain many years ago.

Man that's a weird combo, sounds like you have an odd truck. So on it... both amplified systems show to have a sub. You may be lucky and not have an amp and not have to worry about the bypass. The wiring diagram doesn't show the location, in my sierra the amp was in the console and there was a bunch of wiring going to it underneath the cup holder.

Do you have a center console or bench seat?

VHO with cloth and bose.. wtf, also seems odd.

If you like that bose, wait till you hear a 14+ bose. I have a 14 and it puts the 04 bose to shame.
Its a bench.

I know what the center console and all the crap that goes to it looks like. I have had several of these things apart. It had a separate harness that ran to the head unit and tied into the A-pillar speaker
Old 05-02-2018, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
So Is there an RPO code for the amp in a mid level truck?

I know the base work trucks had a bare bones radio no cd no tape. I am assuming that is base level.

I am guessing mid level was single disk and or tape. Yes tape was still an option oddly enough...

All the bose had 6 disc. I don't know if 6 disc was available with out bose. I do know you can install a 6 disc and it sounds better than the single disk unit.
It doesn't show me RPO codes in all data. I just clicked on the OE wiring though and they list the systems as base, luxury, and premium.

It doesn't list what type of player they have

My 04 with bose was a single disc head unit, no tape option. I've seen a lot of goofy stuff with even remote tape players iirc
Old 05-02-2018, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

One interesting thing in your 06 diagrams, the luxury system shows a remote mounted (seperate) cd player. So that was likely a stereo with a tape player or no player.

The Premium system shows no remote players. So the radio itself would have been the disc player. That's how mine was setup in the 04 with bose.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:18 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

One interesting thing in your 06 diagrams, the luxury system shows a remote mounted (seperate) cd player. So that was likely a stereo with a tape player or no player.

The Premium system shows no remote players. So the radio itself would have been the disc player. That's how mine was setup in the 04 with bose.
The separate cd player was the denali. It had a complete different center console with the cd player in it.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

The separate cd player was the denali. It had a complete different center console with the cd player in it.
That's right, I remember that now.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Its a bench.

I know what the center console and all the crap that goes to it looks like. I have had several of these things apart. It had a separate harness that ran to the head unit and tied into the A-pillar speaker
Starting to sound like you have no amp. Man you're the perfect candidate for a head unit swap and all new door speakers. DO ITTTT

I understand the concern of it getting broken into and your head unit stolen though.

But man having ipod control and bluetooth hands free calling etc makes life really nice. Plus the new sound is so much better.

On the rear doors, I don't know if they make 4x6 fast rings so you may need to do the window seal foam that I did. Also make sure you seal the gaps between the speaker frame and the door frame/metal panel. I had big gaps around the front and rear speakers. I believe they make adapter plates to mount new speakers but I screwed my speakers directly to the door frame, bose speakers go in the door instead of the panel.

If you have a base radio, your speakers I think are actually mounted in your door panel in the front, if so you won't have to do the foam on the front to meet the panel, or worry about what I just said above, on the front speakers.

If you have that style then I believe you also have tweeters in the door panels and that'll make mounting the component set you are looking at that much easier.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

I had an 04 spring special truck That I used for parts that had a tape player head unit oddly enough.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:04 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Starting to sound like you have no amp. Man you're the perfect candidate for a head unit swap and all new door speakers. DO ITTTT

I understand the concern of it getting broken into and your head unit stolen though.

But man having ipod control and bluetooth hands free calling etc makes life really nice. Plus the new sound is so much better.

On the rear doors, I don't know if they make 4x6 fast rings so you may need to do the window seal foam that I did. Also make sure you seal the gaps between the speaker frame and the door frame/metal panel. I had big gaps around the front and rear speakers. I believe they make adapter plates to mount new speakers but I screwed my speakers directly to the door frame, bose speakers go in the door instead of the panel.

If you have a base radio, your speakers I think are actually mounted in your door panel in the front, if so you won't have to do the foam on the front to meet the panel, or worry about what I just said above, on the front speakers.

If you have that style then I believe you also have tweeters in the door panels and that'll make mounting the component set you are looking at that much easier.
The tweeter is in the door panel but the 6 1/2 is still mounted to the door on these trucks similar to the bose. But The bose had a larger plastic enclosure molded around the speaker.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I had an 04 spring special truck That I used for parts that had a tape player head unit oddly enough.
The tweeter is in the door panel but the 6 1/2 is still mounted to the door on these trucks similar to the bose. But The bose had a larger plastic enclosure molded around the speaker.
LOL and I thought I had the weirdest truck ever, you have me beat by far.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:27 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

LOL and I thought I had the weirdest truck ever, you have me beat by far.
Oh there is better.

That 04 Spring special had a tape deck... Realy... CD's were already on the way out at that point...

I found an 05 VHO with the standard cloth split bench. No Bose... You pay for the 6.0 but don't get the better sound system???

Also Not sure if you seen them, but GM made some extended cab Super Short beds using the 5.8 bed from the 1500 crew cab... A friend picked one up and it was a 4x4 with something like 3.23 or 3.42 gears.

Quick Reply: Time for new speakers, What should I get?