STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Time for new speakers, What should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Essentially yes they are, but the doors already have seals and moisture barriers and speakers generally last for many years with just the factory seals in the doors. So IMO they are unnecessary.
I made shields for mine since they get wet in the doors. The backs of mine had rusted the parts that weren't made for moisture. These doors are far from being water proof, which is why GM puts holes in the bottoms of the doors. If you want to keep those baffles, just cut the bottom off so the top is a shield and you should be good.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
I made shields for mine since they get wet in the doors. The backs of mine had rusted the parts that weren't made for moisture. These doors are far from being water proof, which is why GM puts holes in the bottoms of the doors. If you want to keep those baffles, just cut the bottom off so the top is a shield and you should be good.
Moisture also collects in the air so you will still have rust on the back of your speaker if it isn't sealed off from the moisture. A little rust on the back of them isn't something to be concerned with anyway.

Make sure your drain holes are clean, I've had several vehicles come in the shop with the holes plugged up and a gallon of water or so sitting in the doors. If they are clogged you may have more moisture than normal in your doors.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:03 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

I am still looking and have not made up my mind. I was considering those Alpine SPS-610C How ever I have read a few reviews that the tweeters have failed after about a year. I was given a recomendation for the Kicker 43CSS674 both the main and the tweeters are made of a little better materials.

I have been told I can run the kickers with out an amp for now and should I decide to upgrade I can add an amp to get more power and maximise the speaker sound and capability.

Any thoughts on the Kicker recomendation over the Alpine's???
Old 05-01-2018, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I am still looking and have not made up my mind. I was considering those Alpine SPS-610C How ever I have read a few reviews that the tweeters have failed after about a year. I was given a recomendation for the Kicker 43CSS674 both the main and the tweeters are made of a little better materials.

I have been told I can run the kickers with out an amp for now and should I decide to upgrade I can add an amp to get more power and maximise the speaker sound and capability.

Any thoughts on the Kicker recomendation over the Alpine's???
Probably be fine with or without an amp on either. An amp will help any speaker set you choose, but obviously some speakers will handle more amp than others.

The kickers have a higher efficiency rating, so they will get louder on the same power level.

The kickers have a lower frequency range so if you'll be using these for bass you'll get a little bit more of the low end out of them, but they're still just door speakers so you'll only get so much.

I like that the kickers actually have a seperate crossover rather than just using a resistor as a bass blocker.

The kickers offer 3 tweeter loudness settings, which is nice.

Both sets are lower end component sets but will likely sound very good especially if you're replacing stock stuff with them. They both use metal/plastic tweeter material which (in my opinion) is too screechy. I prefer soft textile tweeter material, they play the highs just as well but are a little more balanced/soft in the delivery.

Check these out. Great frequency range, higher efficiency than either of the two you listed. Shouldn't need an amp.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P65...cs.html?tp=106

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 05-01-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Thanks! I figure there probably better than what I will get in the 50-100 range from anywhere. Last time I went and got some from a local best buy. I was not happy and took them right back...

Funny thing, they dropped the price on the kickers and sent me an email this morning...
Old 05-01-2018, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks! I figure there probably better than what I will get in the 50-100 range from anywhere. Last time I went and got some from a local best buy. I was not happy and took them right back...

Funny thing, they dropped the price on the kickers and sent me an email this morning...

Wait can't tell if you were referencing the speakers I posted or the speakers you posted.

Out of the options I would go with the ones I posted.

From what I've experienced even the best of speakers will not be near their full potential if you're going to use them on the stock radio/amp.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Wait can't tell if you were referencing the speakers I posted or you.

From what I've experienced even the best of speakers will not be near their full potential if you're going to use them on the stock radio/amp.
Saw you edited after my response posted. I will look at those too.
You feel that would be a better choice?

It's basically a DD. I don't want to invest a ton of money into it in case it gets wrecked or stolen. I drive less than 10 miles round trip to work. And when I go to a job site It's not always in the best area and occasionally I have to park on the street.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Saw you edited after my response posted. I will look at those too.
You feel that would be a better choice?

It's basically a DD. I don't want to invest a ton of money into it in case it gets wrecked or stolen. I drive less than 10 miles round trip to work. And when I go to a job site It's not always in the best area and occasionally I have to park on the street.
I would get these. These have basically the same exact specs as the infinity but these are silk tweeters and the tweeter level is adjustable

These have a 4.4 star rating from 600 people on amazon

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-hJbZyZ...L-GTO609C.html

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-01-2018, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Use those, no amp, get a JVC head unit. You can get great ones for around $200 or less and make a major difference. Run the speakers straight off the head unit. Put the foam rings on the speakers to the door panels. Be blow away by the difference.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:50 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

I would get these. These have basically the same exact specs as the infinity but these are silk tweeters and the tweeter level is adjustable

These have a 4.4 star rating from 600 people on amazon

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-hJbZyZ...L-GTO609C.html

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO609C-P...rimus+pr6500cs
Says there no longer availible on crutchfield.

Quick Reply: Time for new speakers, What should I get?