STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Speaker Level to Line Level, where to tap into

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 06:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speaker Level to Line Level, where to tap into

I am going to add a 10" sub to my 2006 Silverado Crew Cab but I want to keep my stock radio for the look and keep it for my steering wheel controls.

This will be my first time ever in 15 years that I have never replaced a factory radio. I have always used a head unit with line level outputs.

Since I am going to use a speaker to line level converter, where should I tap into to get my signal, the front or rear speaker wires? I have the factory Bose stereo. Should I tap at the head unit or the speakers themselfs?

What brand of line level converter would you guys recommend? I don't need nothing fancy.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
Old 08-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Being bose does it have the factory sub in the console??
Old 08-28-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Taylorkdt
they are kinda weak.....

to answer the original question:
I have a similar setup, I chose to go with an MTX amp with built in line level inputs. On my extended cab I found the best place to tap the wires for the rear speakers was in the door sill on the driver side. I opened both doors (remember, this is an extended cab) and pull up the door sill plate in the driver side, under there is a bundle of wires wrapped in black tape. Open that and there is a twisted pair of wires that is brown and yellow and another set light blue and dark blue. these are the rear speaker wires, you can stagger your taps and fit it all back where it came from.

To verify which is positive and negative you can visit the12volt.com - you can also try to verify that the Bose is the same color wires as the Delco systems.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Originally Posted by Taylorkdt

What? I don't know, didn't think there is a factory sub in my truck?
Old 08-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

usually the bose systems have a factory 6inch sub that is in the console up under the dash and if they do that is the best place to conect a line level. under the cup holders U can find the wires they are twisted together. The fac sub is a dual voice coil so there is 4 wires so you can hook up right and left right their and it gives you a sub frequency. sounds alot better than just hooking to the speeker wires.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Alright I just had an 06 here and It had the bose system. under the cup holders there is main wiring harness with a large connector then the harness runs towards the back of the console. when it turns back a smaller harness y's off to the front of the console right at that y you can untape it and the 2 pair of sub wires will be there. They are twisted pairs Dark green and light blue/black stripe ------ blue/white stripe and lt green/ black stripe. Use the black striped wires as negative what you use as right &left will not matter since the sub will be mono. This is by far the best solution to adding an amp to a factory bose head in these trucks. I explained the best I could didn't have the camera or I would have taken some pics. The factory sub is pretty week most people don't know it is their, When you connect to these wires you can leave the sub connected if you like But I always completely disconnect buy cutting the wires.