STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Sound system suggestions for the new truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sound system suggestions for the new truck

Im told I can run a Pioneer D3 with a conversion box or something to retain my steering wheel controls so Im going to be running that as my HU. I have the factory bose system which Im fairly happy with. I dont want to run an under seat sub box because I want to be able to fold the rear seats down for the storage area. Im thinking 2 10s would be perfect. Ive outgrown the loud bumping but I want the subs to match the highs. I want a sub box that I can mount my amp on in the middle and the amp for the highs on so if need be I can remove it all as one unit. If I replaced the stock speakers with aftermarket ones will they be able to keep up with the subs just running off the HUs power? The mid/high amp may not be needed. I just want an all aorund good sounding system, I listen to mainly country, rock and alternative music so no real deep bass. Every once in a while Ill listen to some rap. What should I go with? I already have 1000watt 1ohm stable amp for the subs, if I need a multichannel amp what should I get my current one cant hang when the volume gets cranked up.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:42 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ipod and Bose headphones
Old 02-21-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's only one 10" but I've always liked it. Thought about putting one in mine but i'd have to cut a hole and put a piece of tube through it for my shifter.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1472
Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If I were to run aftermarket speakers, I would try to run an amp to them because it will make them louder and more clear. My buddy has an 05 crew cab 2500hd and he has 2 jl 10W3 in a sealed box behind the rear drivers seat powered by a JL 1000/1. (overkill). He runs MB Quartz compenents Q series in all 4 doors powered by a JL 450/4. His system is way over kill and pricey.
However it is one of the cleanest sounding systems I have heard in a truck.

On a side note, if you are happy with the bose system, maybe get a GM navigation touch screen unit. Save you money and you will not have to install amps or speakers.

I am off to bed man. Got to get up at 3:00am to start the journey to AZ. lol I wish you would have been able to make it.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:57 AM

Yeah me too instead I get to spend my weekend under the hood of someone elses truck instead of drinking beer and hanging out

The bose system is perfect when I have my windows up, but when I have the windows down and Im cruising its just not quite enough.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:28 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't bother with aftermarket speakers unless you are going to power them with an aftermarket amp. In my experience, the crappy sound of a stock stereo is caused primarily by insufficient power to the speakers, followed closely by crappy stock speakers. You can get better sound out of stock speakers by sending them more power (to a certain extent). Here's what I would based on what you're looking for:

Do a set of 6.5" component speakers up front, and feed them with an amp that is good for about 70-75 watts RMS at 4 ohms (common impedance for regular speakers). Your rear fill speakers are relatively unimportant. You can run the stock speakers off the deck or whatever, it really doesn't matter much. Get yourself either a pair of 8" subs that handle about 250 watts RMS each or a single 10" that's good for 500 watts RMS, and get an amp (or use your existing one, if it's up to the task) that will put out 500-700 watts RMS at the given impedance level.

I like to overpower everything a little bit. When you turn the gains down to a reasonable level you don't run an overpowered amp very hard and it will run cooler and last longer, as well as have much clearer sound.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:58 AM

My sub amp is 1000w RMS @ 1ohm so I can power pretty much anything. Im thinking of just building my own box since Im cheap and dont want to pay a custom shop the money they would want to build one. Is there a website where I can plug in box dimensions and it give me the volume? Im going to need a box that has a sloped edge to match the back of the seat and I really dont want to get into all that math since Im lazy too. You think two 10s would be too much. The Bose system has an 8" sub doesnt it? The bose speakers overpower it easily at higher volumes and I know how my old 12s sounded thats why I was thinking 2 10s would be more to my liking. But Ill downsize if there isnt enough air space for the subs and building an amp rack in the middle. Ill have to look at my 4 channel amp and see what its RMS handling is, Im thinking its a 300 watt. On my pioneer deck it would go into overload mode if I turned the volume up over 42 out 61. I want to be able to crank it ALL the way if need be and not have any problems. I ran kenwood components up front and coaxs out back and they sounded damn good, I may just end up stealing those out of the Z and putting them in the new truck but I would need the stock component speakers for the Z and I dont have any.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:11 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember that the Bose system is probably severely underpowered. Your 8" factory sub isn't anything like a pair of high quality aftermarket 8" subs would be. I'm running 2 10's in my truck and they get really loud, but then again they are in a ported box. I'm assuming you're looking for a sealed box. I wish you were coming out this weekend, I'd let you listen to my setup. I also have a pair of 6.5" subs in the front on the tranny hump and they are actually pretty damn loud for what they are. That sub amp you have sounds like it will work fine, just make sure you match your sub(s) to it so you get the best output level from it.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who have stock stereo stuff sitting around. I sold my stock components and rear speakers for something stupid like $40. You should be able to pick some up cheap. If you already have nice speakers in the Z, reuse them instead of buying another nice set. You won't get any extra for the Z when you sell it if it's still got the nice speakers in it.

On the other hand, if you have the space for two 10's, you might as well do it. You can always turn the bass down if it's too loud. Hmmmm.....too much is a good thing when it comes to car audio
Old 02-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Teching In

too much is just enough
-rockford fosgate

right now im running the 12w7 with the 1000/1, it sounds GREAT hits every note, even the really lows, however im looking for some speakers at the moment, probably going to go with some MB quarts.... run an amp to those speakers see if they come to life..
Old 02-22-2008, 11:33 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Yeah me too instead I get to spend my weekend under the hood of someone elses truck instead of drinking beer and hanging out

The bose system is perfect when I have my windows up, but when I have the windows down and Im cruising its just not quite enough.

In my 05 I had the bose with one Punch ten and it was perfect. The sub made everything sound better.

Quick Reply: Sound system suggestions for the new truck