STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

School me on Optima Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me on Optima Batteries

well after 3 weeks or not cranking it my battery wont turn over the truck. I think its going out.

Before yall say anything about the truck not running for 3 weeks. I was at work and it was just sitting there.

I think I want an Optima --- Tell me about the difference between the 2.

I have some sound (400 watt amp) and E-Fans and Im going to be putting HIDs in ---- can someone tell me which would be the best and why.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

I think a Red top should be fine that is what I have in my truck. It is just like a standard cranking battery only built better to last longer and withstand extreme conditions.

The Yellow tops are deep cycle batteries that you would consider if you had a lot more amps and intended on running the stereo for any amount of time without the truck running or if you have something like a winch to run. The yellow tops don't have as many cranking amps but are built to handle being deeply discharged and recharged more often.

The blue tops are marine batteries which you don't want. I don't even think they have the correct terminals
Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well my truck sits for 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

So the red is probably cheaper too huh
Old 06-13-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had both the red and yellow optimas. I killed the red one not sure how, but upgraded to the yellow one. The price difference is $30 but if youre gonna spend that much might as well.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Ya if your truck sits that much I can see going with the yellow. Then even if there is a slow drain on the bat that runs it really low it will handle it better.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My friend has a red top in his F150 and he said it sucks. When he lets hit truck sit for a few days it dies on him. I would say yellow.

BTW HID's are actually suppose to use less power then your stock bulbs
Old 06-17-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

I have the red top, and had to jump the F%$#er today because I didn't start it yesterday.Hopefully the yellow top is better. I have two amps, radar detector and a cell phone plug, but it shouldn't be dead after 1 day. I think i'm going to add a yellow top as a second battery.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

If you are going to add a yellow top as a second battery, then I think you will want 2 of them cause I don't think a regular and a deep cycle battery play well together on the same system. It might work ok, but I'm sure it's not recommended to do that.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:29 AM
TECH Regular

Good Point.... I was thinking about useing the yellow top for the stereo only, and useing the blue antenna wire to turn on a relay that would only charge it, or have it in the system while the radio is on. with the key off or radio off they would be separate. What do you think?????
Old 06-18-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting posts!! I have a red top and I can run my stereo with the 400 watt amp and 2-12" kicker comps for 5-6 hours before i have to start it - everytime it starts right up.

The only time it has ever died on me was the winter that it sat outside, and it was colder that a witches tit on Antarctica

Quick Reply: School me on Optima Batteries