STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Receiver/motorized screen, subs, and amp install in my 99 ecsb beater

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver/motorized screen, subs, and amp install in my 99 ecsb beater

Nothing too special but figured I would post up some pics of my setup/install for anyone thinking about putting a multimedia h/u with a hideaway brain in their truck but are having a hard time deciding where to mount the brain. I had a Clarion VRX925VD head unit sitting around that I picked up from a buddy that pulled it from his truck and sold the truck but forgot to pull the harnesses before he sold it. The head unit was purchases by my buddy almost 8 years ago but he had only used it for under 6 months then pulled it and had it sitting in his storage in the original box. I finally asked him what he was going to do with it around a year ago and he decided to trade it to me for installing his amp in his new car. I was getting tired of the cheapo Xplod h/u that came in the truck so I picked up a set of used harnesses for the Clarion and found out the power/speaker harness was only around 6 inches long. I also didn't want to re-run my RCAs or antenna cable so I decided to mount it in dash. After pulling EVERY single panel off of the dash I finally found a spot behind the airbag that was almost perfect for the brain. The brain dimensions are 8-3/4"W x 1-1/2"H x 7-1/8"D and this was literally the only place I could find to fit it. It is a tight enough fit to actually hold in in place without the mounting screws but I threw them in to give it some stability. I had to grind down a few of the ribs on the underside of the dash pad but it fit like a charm. The antenna cable and factory stereo harness are ran through here so it was incredibly easy to wire up. The brain looks pretty close to the air bag in the pics but there is actually around 4-6 inches between the 2. The brain isn't supposed to let out any interference that would mess with the air bag so I'm not too worried about that. Anyway here are the pics:

The truck also had 4 ga power wiring from the previous owner and I had a 2x12 downfire box so I decided to throw a little system in it. I found a good deal on a new pair of Kicker Comp VR DVC 12s (07CVR124) so I decided to run them and push them with an Audioque AQ1200D mono amp. The amp is 1 ohm stable so I have the subs wired to a 1 ohm load. The amp is still turned down to give them a little break in but they sound great. I have no use for the ash tray so I decided to mount the amp gain control in the ash tray for a stealthier install. The amp is mounted behind the seat but it it low enough to still get plenty of airflow to keep it cool.

I pieced the system together for under $400 which isn't bad considering the subs and amp were brand new and head unit was relatively new. Again the system isn't anything special but maybe it will help anyone installing an in dash multimedia unit like this.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good job

Cool man looks like a clean install. I pieced mine together too but mine was over a 2 year span haha.