STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Is my TMA amp fubar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:19 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is my TMA amp fubar?

My amp suddenly stopped working. I checked it out today and when you key it on the red light comes on then the turns yellow. What does this mean?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

It is likely going into some sort of protection mode. Try unhooking your speaker leads and see what it does. Other wise, finding the user manual may provide better troubleshooting info.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKID
It is likely going into some sort of protection mode. Try unhooking your speaker leads and see what it does. Other wise, finding the user manual may provide better troubleshooting info.
x2 verbatim. I hate stereo issues. I need my tunes!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup...disconnect speakers, see if it still does it...if it doesn't, hook one speaker up at a time, you may have a bad coil, causing it to go into protection. Will isolate which one it is.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:08 AM
12 Second Truck Club

i already disconnected the sub from the amp. its a mono block. kowing that it was made by jl i looked up there info. red is over heated and yellow is a short in the speakers. when it first comes on its red then turns straight to yelow. i went ahead and disconnected the remote wire and left the speaker disconnected. i'll use the jumper again today and turn it on to see if it has reset by now. its only 5 years old so i would think it would have far more life in it. one thing i'm wondering though, the power wire has a blade fuse off the battery instead of the barrel type fuse. and the fuse holder is kinda tweaked so some times if you remove the fuse and just stuff it back in it would get a bad connection. so at low volume it would work great but when it got cranked it would shut off do to low voltage. then i would have to get out and mess with the fuse to get it in just right and it would jam out. so i'm wondering if this bad connection has happened enough to harm the amp.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Have you checked your sub to see if its blown or if the voice coil has fried? That will trip the protection circut. If the sub is ok then it looks like a toasted amp. Having a bad connection can cause an amp to work harder and in turn can cause issues.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if its yellow, I suspect issue with one of the subs. Monoblock doesnt mean much other than its a class d design (usually)But a connection can effect power issues. Which could cause to DC the coil or send the woofer the clipped signal, causing pre-mature woofer failure.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 AM
12 Second Truck Club

So it turns out the damn thing just does a self test when it's turned on and goes from red to yellow to green. It just take forever to do it. And the reason it wasn't turning on at all for a while is because my turn on lead got in a bind with the ebrake pedal some how. All is fixed and refitted and good to go. And I spent half the day removing burnt wiring from the dash harness because the dick face owner before me put too big of a fuse in the cig light spot. So while using an air compressor it got to hot but wasn't able to blow the fuse. And I didn't know until smoke started rolling from under the hood. Strange how people think "oh the fuse blew, I'll just put in a bigger one".
Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

good to know your at least back on the road...with tunes
Old 07-30-2011, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Good to see it was a simple fix vs having to buy a new amp!

As for the sig lighter.......WOW you got lucky!!!!

Quick Reply: Is my TMA amp fubar?