STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

LED Headlight Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve used brands like hikari and lightening dark and they worked fine and actually worked great with a projector lens, in fact I much prefer them to xenon conversions if they fit, but it is just a light wash in my reflector housings. Nbs has plenty of bulb room (unlike 14+ trucks).
The lessor import brands have durability issues.
If the PIAAs would project properly in my housings I would gladly pay the extra. LEDs are exploding right now, in another year they may be a great option for me. Hell, even a couple years ago they were nothing compared to xenon conversions. Now, wouldn’t do xenons again. It’s nice not waiting for warm up!!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:32 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by someotherguy
If you're dead set on going LED headlights, and I'm still not convinced LED's are up to par for the job...you might take a look at Morimoto's offerings. They cost less than the PIAA (and I think with PIAA you're paying a good amount just for the name) and look like they might be nice pieces. Also, they're 8mm shorter behind the base than the PIAA which could make all the difference in whether or not they're gonna fit in your truck. Oh, and they're only $120/pair for 9006's instead of PIAA's at $200+/pair

Richard
I'm not set on anything except something brighter that does not blind everyone. I'll take a look at the Mirimoto's, but with the reviews, it's hard to know what's good, and what's not.

I also looked at these:

https://headlightrevolution.com/gtr-...ulbs-9006-hb4/

Originally Posted by Tayj6
I’ve used brands like hikari and lightening dark and they worked fine and actually worked great with a projector lens, in fact I much prefer them to xenon conversions if they fit, but it is just a light wash in my reflector housings. Nbs has plenty of bulb room (unlike 14+ trucks).
The lessor import brands have durability issues.
If the PIAAs would project properly in my housings I would gladly pay the extra. LEDs are exploding right now, in another year they may be a great option for me. Hell, even a couple years ago they were nothing compared to xenon conversions. Now, wouldn’t do xenons again. It’s nice not waiting for warm up!!
Thanks for the info. I wish I would have bough Xenarc's when I had the opportunity.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts

Retrofit is the way to go. I recently did Morimoto Mini H1 projectors in some aftermarket clear lens housings. They fit really well with minimal modification. These particular housings look good but had horrible reflectors in them. I'm loving the output and beam pattern of the projectors.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Absolutely, a retrifitted projector is going to be the best result as far as light pattern. And I admit those actually look pretty good. All the aftermarket projector headlights are way too “tuner” for me. And I personally can’t stand “halos” on my suburban.
If the chrome surround on that lens was just a little more plain it would really fit my simple conservative taste.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

I would like to use a larger, less blingy shroud to make it look more cohesive. I used a 3" D2S projector in my Sierra and it looks more at home in the housing than the Silverado does.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

The gmc gives you a little more real estate to work with.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by BigKID
I would like to use a larger, less blingy shroud to make it look more cohesive. I used a 3" D2S projector in my Sierra and it looks more at home in the housing than the Silverado does.
Did you use a basic clear replacement lens?

Last edited by Last Call; 03-20-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

For the Silverado I used a pair of ebay special housings with clear lenses. The Sierra already had clear lenses.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Even if I wanted to...I don't think most of these would even fit the 2006 low beams. Just not enough space back there. After paying what I did for new OEM headlights I'm not too sure I would even want to experiment with hacking the bracket.

Richard
Old 03-23-2018, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by BigKID
Do you have a picture of the back of the light? Seems like i will need to cut the shroud down and need super shallow bulbs.

Quick Reply: LED Headlight Bulbs