STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

LED Headlight Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 12:28 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default LED Headlight Bulbs

I can't find a set of Xenarc headlights for my 2000 Silverado, so I'm thinking of buying LED bulbs for the lows and fogs. Problem is that the internet is full of crap!! I haven't found a consistent review anywhere!!

Anyone have experience with LED bulbs What is your recommendation?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:34 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Recommendation is dont do it in the stock housings as you will blind every one else on the road since the beam will be too scattered.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic
Recommendation is dont do it in the stock housings as you will blind every one else on the road since the beam will be too scattered.
Thanks!

I know that HIDs in a reflective housing were terrible, but I thought the LED bulbs were deigned for reflective lenses.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Last Call
but I thought the LED bulbs were deigned for reflective lenses.
There are many LED configurations, but those for reflective housings are best used in other locations like turn signals, brake likes, side markers, etc.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be careful of getting the ones on ebay right out of China. there is a huge difference in quality from different manufacturers.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianNelson51
I would be careful of getting the ones on ebay right out of China. there is a huge difference in quality from different manufacturers.
Any recommendations?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After many a search, I have conlcluded that there are no quality aftermarket options for led or xenon bulbs that function well in the factory headlights for that body style. My 02 suburban has tried many different bulbs. The headlight housing just doesn’t support the light source with the reflector. All the aftermarket headlights to add a projector lens look like Chinese crap...and nothing new is coming out for the older trucks that looks any better. I have resorted to the highest quality halogen bulbs I can find and upgraded the wiring for the wattage.
Dont get me wrong, the zen is and latest led bulbs are super bright, they’re just not controllable in the headlight. The light goes everywhere!!
Old 03-20-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tayj6
After many a search, I have conlcluded that there are no quality aftermarket options for led or xenon bulbs that function well in the factory headlights for that body style. My 02 suburban has tried many different bulbs. The headlight housing just doesn’t support the light source with the reflector. All the aftermarket headlights to add a projector lens look like Chinese crap...and nothing new is coming out for the older trucks that looks any better. I have resorted to the highest quality halogen bulbs I can find and upgraded the wiring for the wattage.
Dont get me wrong, the zen is and latest led bulbs are super bright, they’re just not controllable in the headlight. The light goes everywhere!!
That is what I was afraid of, buying a super bright bulb that blinded everyone on the road.

What bulb did you end up settling on?
Old 03-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the PIAA extreme white plus and I found that the oem reflectors are far better than the aftermarket replacements. I found a pair of factory headlights that were still in good shape and had them clear coated to preserve them. The aftermarket ones that look like oem don’t last long and the reflectors are crap. I may try the latest PIAA LEDs when one of these burn out, but I’m definitely sworn off of the Chinese LEDs. PIAA claims the beam is engineered for a reflector housing...but it will cost me a couple hundred bucks to find out...again.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

If you're dead set on going LED headlights, and I'm still not convinced LED's are up to par for the job...you might take a look at Morimoto's offerings. They cost less than the PIAA (and I think with PIAA you're paying a good amount just for the name) and look like they might be nice pieces. Also, they're 8mm shorter behind the base than the PIAA which could make all the difference in whether or not they're gonna fit in your truck. Oh, and they're only $120/pair for 9006's instead of PIAA's at $200+/pair

Richard
The following users liked this post:
rcsbking (06-30-2018)

Quick Reply: LED Headlight Bulbs