STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

JL 13tw5v2/4

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default JL 13tw5v2/4

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the JL shallow mount subs? What is your opinion? I'm about to redo my setup and have had my eye on the JL thin sub for quite some time. I've never heard them in person.

The truck is a single cab. Currently I have 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 10s in a vented box. I designed the box as thin as possible, but for a tall passenger to be comfortable, the seat back is pressed directly against the sub. I'm not a dirty savage. My previous setup got jacked so this one was a "who cares" setup.

My main question is if a single thin JL will hit the low notes as good as a pair of 10s.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 764 Likes on 563 Posts

I've got a JL TW3-12 in one of their sealed power wedge boxes run with a JX500watt amp behind the driver seat in my RCSB. It's hard to explain how bass feels but it does rattle my mirrors and windows enough that I turned the gain on the amp down to less than half. It's extremely clean hitting I couldn't be happier. I put JL in everything I buy and have never had any of their products fail.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Excellent. Thanks for the reply. I'm pulling out the interior this weekend for a new headliner/full console swap/much needed cleaning. I'm still unsure if I'll go the thin sub route, but its encouraging to know they can perform.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:52 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right after they came out we installed one in the stock subwoofer location in the cargo area of a Yukon XL with a 500/1 on it. As far as SQ went it was incredible. But since there isn't much woofer excursion they don't move a ton of air so you don't feel the bass in your chest as much. They are expensive but as long as you give it adequate power you'll be satisfied I bet.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

we just took one out of my sons truck, we spec'd a custom box for it and to be honest it was disappointing ive been in to audio for about 30 years had over 10 systems and installed probably over 50 for friends-family and i can tell you its just not worth it! out side his truck you could hear it better then inside it didnt get as low as my single 10w3v3 and was not accurate at all if you listened to rap you might be happy with it but when it came to pop, country or rock it failed bad just a sloppy pig, he replaced it with two 10w3v3's in a sealed box and they sound so much better very accurate, WAY harder hitting, no problem getting down and dirty low, clean no matter what is playing they keep up with out braking a sweat i can even tell when his on his way home from about a block away now