STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

how to hook up a sub to the factory bose

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to hook up a sub to the factory bose

I have a EC sierra with the bose system, and the stock bose "sub" in the center console has a lot to be desired.
I want to hook up a 10" sub and put it under the rear seat. what do I need to hook it up to the factory bose HU and steering controls ??

thanks
Old 06-21-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

you are going to need a convertor to make rear outputs for your subs.. they hook up to your rear speaker wires on the back of your head unit.... sence you are using your factory deck you dont need anything too keep your radio controlls on your steeringwheel ...... just a word of advice tho.... it will sound better then the stock sub but it would sound 10 times better with an aftermarket HU..... but its only $10 for the convertor so if you dont like the way it sounds your not out that much but its your onlyway with the factory HU..... you can pick it up at any bestbut or other electroninc stor
Old 06-21-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

okay, that converter will also convert the signal from 5 ohm (bose) to like 4 for a aftermarket small amp and a 10" sub under the rear seat??

and, how hard is it to do ??
Old 06-21-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

im not sure on it converting it from 5 to 4 but the install is pritty easy.. i think on your truck the rear speaker outputs are dark green and light green but dont quote me on that... you just cut those wires and reconnect them with the convertor in place.. the convertor will have wire comming out of it....
Old 06-21-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the PAC adapter that will let you connect an aftermarket amp and sub whille keeping you stock radio and bose system. I did'nt end up using it afterall. I can let you have it for $40 shipped its brand new . Let me know
Old 06-21-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are dead set on keeping the bose system and want to run a aftermarket sub and amp DONT connect you line-out after the amp I would do it in the dash your signal to your amp will be way to high... How I would do it is, spend a little bit of money on a GOOD line out converter (cheap ones can actually melt) pull the radio out mid-strip the wires (dont cut them strip the wire back and wrapy the wires off the line out to factory wires then tape them all good and individually) Then your going to need a amp turn on wire.... your truck has RDS so you wont find a ACC anywhwere near the radio My suggestion is on that to take off the lower part of the dash near the steering wheel and you can find the ignition harness (I forget the color on that truck but going to be one of the thicker wires check to find one with test probe) midstrip and run your remote off that but your going to need to get an inline fuse for that wire because it will not be fused anywhere else in the truck. Good luck