STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Door Vocal Speakers NOT working. Help PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Vocal Speakers NOT working. Help PLEASE!!!

Alright stereo and speaker guru's. I need your help bad! Both of my door vocal speakers have quit working period. There was no sign of them going bad or anything that I could tell leading up to this point. They are aftermarket Rockford Fosgate 2-way mids/hign speakers. I have had absolutely no problems with them until now. They are about 2 years old. I pulled the door panel off Friday and voltage tested the connections to see what it read, and it showed NOTHING. I then tested the tweeters (they are still working) just to see what kind of reading I would get.

Any suggestions or tips will be greatly appreciated to help try and solve this dilema. Just a quick recap, there is apparently no power getting to the speakers.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

did you pull the head unit out and check there or the amp.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I pulled the head unit and chacked all my connections. All seemed to be well and seemed to be loose.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

test to see if there is power going from your head unit or amp if you are running one to your speakers from the back of the head unit or the back of the amp.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

also is there some way you or some one else may have accedentaly turned your fad setting to only alow the rear speakers to play. just an idea, good luck, hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SILVERADO11
also is there some way you or some one else may have accedentaly turned your fad setting to only alow the rear speakers to play. just an idea, good luck, hope this helps.
if he messed with the fade then the tweeters wouldn't work. if your speakers are powered by the head unit, then take a multimeter to your wiring harness. you need to check the gray, gray/black, white, and white/black wires. if you've got no current coming from those connections, then that's your problem, the built in amp is bad. if your plugs are loose, replace them.
if you've got an aftermarket amp, check your leads coming from the amp and going into its power input. check your ground too while you're at it.
if you've got power everywhere, then your wires have melted/gotten frayed or cut, or you've blown a fuse.
Hope this helps
Old 05-25-2010, 07:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are these two way coax (tweeter in center of the midrange) or components (tweeters mounted seperate from midrange with seperate crossover)?

If these are coax speakers and the tweeters are the only ones working then you probably blew the mids and need to replace your speakers. (Most coax speakers having only one set of connectors so a wiring issue can't really be an issue unless its a failure of some sort from the speakers).

If these are components check all your wiring connections going to the crossover. Then check your wire connections going to the woofers (we already know the tweeters work). If your woofers are connected then either your woofers blew (most likely) or the crossover blew (slim chance).

Unless your driving your tweeters and woofers from seperate amps (bi amping) or seperate channels on the same amp (another way of bi amping) you really won't have to check your amp wiring.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

My speakers are 2-way coax hooked up to the head unit. Those are the speakers that aren't working at all, the tweeters that are working are the stock tweeters that come in the doors of GM trucks. I will need to take my mutlimeter to my wiring harness when my wife gets home (she is drving my truck bc the motor in her car kicked the **** bucket and the backup ride is a standard). Hopefully I can find a loose connection of some sort and my built in amp in the head unit is not toasted. Luckly I have a birthday coming up, so if I do need to buy a new head unit I can. Had a stall converter in mind with the money I get, but we will see.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I will let you know what happens.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i guess the wife's car is the dodge in the background of your sig pic
check your wiring harness and let us know what you find
Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh ok. It could be just a simple wiring issue.
x2 on checking the wireing harness.

Quick Reply: Door Vocal Speakers NOT working. Help PLEASE!!!