STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Does this setup work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 4u 2 nv
also...should i expect this system to really hit hard?

yes this system will hit pretty hard granted you have the right size box for it, you will deffinately have enough power its just airspace you have to wory about now. also dont expect it to be as loud as an L7 in a car or suv bc it wont just because your pickup doesnt have as much air space in the cab as a car or suv does.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:18 PM
apple bottom jeans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
yes this system will hit pretty hard granted you have the right size box for it, you will deffinately have enough power its just airspace you have to wory about now. also dont expect it to be as loud as an L7 in a car or suv bc it wont just because your pickup doesnt have as much air space in the cab as a car or suv does.
I've gotten around that problem by just rolling my windows down
Old 07-28-2007, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
this setup is going into an extended cab silverado..

now for another question? will 4 gauge power wire work or will 0 gauge be needed?

also...im looking to upgrade the factory front door speakers...however..i wanna keep the stock head unit for now....so is evreyone running component setups? if so where are you mounting the aftermarket tweeters? in the door or in the factory locations? thanks for the help again yall
Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 PM
apple bottom jeans

If your going to run a 1000 watt plus amp, and if you are going to add an amp in the future for components, upgrade to 0/1. Its not that much more expensive and gives you a lot more head room.

I put my tweeters in the stock locations, which is in the door(for my truck).
Old 07-28-2007, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cam Galbraith
If your going to run a 1000 watt plus amp, and if you are going to add an amp in the future for components, upgrade to 0/1. Its not that much more expensive and gives you a lot more head room.

I put my tweeters in the stock locations, which is in the door(for my truck).
what would you do with my setup? i have factory bose and im not sure how much of a pain in the *** thats gonna be with the factory amp and all...if i add a aftermarket head unit will the bose amp still work? or is it like the old camaro style bose where everything becomes a pain in the *** when trying to upgrade?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:11 PM
apple bottom jeans

I've never fiddled with Bose in a pickup but I've done the dirty in cars a couple of times. To put it bluntly it sucks nuts, trying to work with it. Replacing speakers is iffy because you don't know what resistance the amp works at, it is usually something ghey like 8 ohms which is completely useless for 4 ohm speakers.

If you're going to put in components, your going to put in an amp which means you'll have to run new speaker wire through the truck anyways to get from the amp to the speaker.

My suggestion is to mount the speaker and tweeter in the door, the cross over in the cab (doors is a no no, steady rain could get to them) and do a LOC from the stock HU. I'm not sure if the pickups use RCA's on the HU, if it does, just find the right ones and hook up. Take the stock amp out, or unhook it from the system. Do some research to see if removing the stock amp does anything to the head unit.

Getting a new HU would be very easy, because then you could remove the bose system entirely and replace it with your own. New HU, run RCA's to your amp, run speaker wire through your doors. You could leave all wiring for the Bose system intact.

Bottom line, I wouldn't mix and match into a Bose system...to many what if's that can result in oh *****.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

im considering a new HU at this point..i have a flip up dvd sitting around but i really want a flush mount style headunit that is double din...something like an Alpine. i just dont like the way the flip up looks in these trucks.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you start doing HU's and components you are gonna want to gut the bose out completely and just start over.....can put the tweeters many places, i have 5.25" components in my kicks and 6.5" components in my doors and it is as loud as i will ever need it.....alpine makes good HU's and have a very nice multiband eq built in on top of the tuning you can do on the amp itself.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

forgot to mention the crossovers fit nice under the pass seat.......
Old 07-29-2007, 03:32 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=Cam Galbraith]If your going to run a 1000 watt plus amp, and if you are going to add an amp in the future for components, upgrade to 0/1. Its not that much more expensive and gives you a lot more head room.

Correct me if Im wrong but a stock alternator will generally put out around 145 amps, and your amplifier can not draw more amps than your alternator can put out. and 4Ga. will flow that very easy.

Last edited by tylerj; 07-29-2007 at 03:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Does this setup work?