STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

distribution block

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distribution block

My amp (see sig) is 2500 w rms and has two pairs of terminals for 4 gauge power/ground. I was told to use 0 gauge from battery to a distro block to split it to two 4 gauge powers to amp and for ground that i should run two 4 gauges out to a distro block, then 0 gauge to ground.

but, do i need the distro blocks? whats the difference between using a distro block to split 0 gauge to two 4 gauge for power wires when i can just run two separate 4 gauge wires, one from the battery and one from the red box near the alternator.
seems like this would do the same thing if i put fuses in both but im not to knowledgeable. the same goes for the ground...why use a distro block - two 4 gauge to one 0 gauge when i can just run separate 4 gauges all the way to the ground? just seeing if it's worth spending the $40 for two distro blocks.

also, if i do use distro blocks...is there much use for this LED display?
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...prodID=KNF-22D
Old 07-01-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

the longer the wire has to be run the bigger the wire needs to be to carry the same amount of power (a 4ga. wire would carry the same power an 0ga. wire would when 4ga. is run 2ft. and 0ga. is run 10ft.) i would suggest runnin a 0ga. wire from battery to a dist. block then the two 4ga. wire to the amp for power. just make sure you use a piece of 0ga. to ground the battery as well or else you will have smaller ground then power. as far as the ground on the amp goes i couldnt agree more, ground all your ground wires in the same location and you will be fine, no dist block needed there. and lastly no the led display is not worth it unless you want if for visual effect.

i am currently running 3 amps with 0ga. running to a dist block under the drivers seat to 1 4ga. wire to 1 amp and 2 8ga. wire to the other 2 amps. works like a champ.......
Old 07-02-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

that was very helpful and makes sense. however, i heard that i should have a fuse immediately after the battery right? and to max current flow, i need to maximize the use of 0 gauge instead of dual 4 gauge (put the distro block as close to the amp as possible) so it is my understanding that i should have a fuse on the 0 gauge right after the battery and then the fused distro block real close to the amp...is this correct? should i do 100 or 120 amp fuses on the 4 gauge? what about on the 0 gauge?

Im confused about what you said for the ground. should i run ONLY dual 4 gauge or should i use dual 4 gauge from amp to distro block and 0 gauge from block to ground? i need the 4 gauge because the amp terminals are 4 gauge. do i need a fuse on this? what amp?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i run a 300 amp fuse mounted to my under hood fuse box on my 0ga. wire....the dist block as stated b4 is under my drivers seat which is fine for me bc i have a reg. cab and the distance form under my drivers seat and the amp on my back wall is like a foot and a half, you haveing a reg cab though i would put it closer than under the drivers seat, prolly under the back seat somewhere.....i did not use a dist. block on my ground wires bc your grounds should be as short as possible. use the same size ground wire as the power wire going into your amp (in your case 4ga.) i have all my amps grounded at the same point with the same screw in the middle of the truck and it works fine, this will save you some on another dist. block....lastly, you only need to run the fuse on the 0ga. and it will act as the fuse for all your amps, make sure the fuse is no farther than a foot to a foot and a half from the battery and your good.....also as stated before make sure you run an 0ga. wire for your battery ground as well since your new 0ga. power is bigger than your factory ground.....hope this helps, let me know if you need more help or pics, i will try to get some for ya......
Old 07-03-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea this helped a lot. Ill be doing the big 3 upgrade so that should help out the stock electric set up. I guess the only small question i have left is that i was offered a good deal on a distro block but it is this with 120 amp fuse :

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...?prodID=KNF-12

and all i need is a single 0 ga in / dual 4 ga out ... will it matter if not all terminals are 'filled' ?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

the fuse depends on the amps you go with. generally speaking you want your major fuse to be as much or a little less than all of your amp fuses combined. always go smaller though, if it keeps blowing then you can go bigger, but start out big and burn some wire b4 the fuse blows and you got problems. it doesnt matter if all terminals are filled on a distribution block so you will be fine.....good luck with it.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:05 PM
apple bottom jeans

Originally Posted by dropkick13
yea this helped a lot. Ill be doing the big 3 upgrade so that should help out the stock electric set up. I guess the only small question i have left is that i was offered a good deal on a distro block but it is this with 120 amp fuse :

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...?prodID=KNF-12

and all i need is a single 0 ga in / dual 4 ga out ... will it matter if not all terminals are 'filled' ?
That will be perfect, and it does not matter if you are only using one output.