STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Can I do this...........

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Can I do this...........

This may have been mention B4 but I couldn't dig anything up. So with my 6 disc changer saying no CD when in fact it was full I took it out of the truck and took the cage out of the radio then it struck me- get CD cage out of a later model donor that reads MP3s. So with that big idea I'm asking the resident geniuses here- would it work? Be really great if it did, TIA

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 12-05-2017 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Picture added for the grammatically challeneged........
Old 12-05-2017, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It would help if you mentioned what video you have, rather that have us guess.... Anyway, you can not use a g4 cd changer from a nnbs in a nbs. The NBS truck's/suv's us class II databus and the NNBS use canbus. Your best bet is to replace the cd changer from the same year, you can get one off of amazon or ebay. As for just swapping the cages, Im not sure itll function.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

No video- I'd just like to be able to play a CD with a **** ton of MP3 songs on it instead of being limited to the CD format that affords like 22 songs, tops on a CD........
Old 12-05-2017, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

install an aftermarket radio, or get a cheap radio from walmart that plays mp4 usb's, and install it in its place, that way you can have the best of both worlds
Old 12-05-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Even better, hack in a bluetooth adapter to your existing setup and play everything off your phone. Forget CD's

Richard
Old 12-05-2017, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah- right now I'm using a radio transmitter and 2GB SD card, but well y'know when travelling what happens..............
Old 12-05-2017, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nah, not one of those lighter plug-in transmitter things. For example, on my 300 I've got a PAC Audio adapter that creates a pair of aux inputs to my factory head unit. To one of those inputs, I've attached a bluetooth dongle that powers up when the key is on. It's a real input, not something transmitted over FM.
You can hack your factory head unit for an aux input as well; how you accomplish this depends on what unit you've got.

My wife's 2006 SS has the factory unit in there with the satellite radio module, there's a pretty simple hack that lets you sneak in on that line. If I wanted to hook it up in a way that didn't eliminate the satellite input, I could ditch the bluetooth and just go mini headphone jack, it's easy to score one that has extra connections on it that let it act as a switch - it interrupts the signal when you plug in to it.

Richard
Old 12-07-2017, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen that hack but have been hesitant to do it. But if it's really no big deal............
Old 12-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by someotherguy
Nah, not one of those lighter plug-in transmitter things. For example, on my 300 I've got a PAC Audio adapter that creates a pair of aux inputs to my factory head unit. To one of those inputs, I've attached a bluetooth dongle that powers up when the key is on. It's a real input, not something transmitted over FM.
You can hack your factory head unit for an aux input as well; how you accomplish this depends on what unit you've got.

My wife's 2006 SS has the factory unit in there with the satellite radio module, there's a pretty simple hack that lets you sneak in on that line. If I wanted to hook it up in a way that didn't eliminate the satellite input, I could ditch the bluetooth and just go mini headphone jack, it's easy to score one that has extra connections on it that let it act as a switch - it interrupts the signal when you plug in to it.

Richard
Which way are you referring to Richard?

I would like to know how they are modifying the factory radio's. It would be worth doing it on my own but not paying someone when I can get a replacement radio for the same price. like this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/04-05-06-YU...ZWvQi8&vxp=mtr
Old 12-08-2017, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Which way are you referring to Richard?
Not sure where they're hacking inside the radio to do an integrated setup like that, but this was the method we were discussing over on the SS forums in this thread Go from aftermarket back to stock 6 CD? (Bose truck) - Radio/Electronics/Security - SilveradoSS.com

The guys hacking the head units are probably tapping those same wires, just inside the head unit itself. Shouldn't be too hard to trace them from the connector inside the unit?

There are bluetooth dongles out there that are pretty small, should be able to fit one inside the hu or nearby without a lot of drama.

Richard