STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

About to start stereo install in my 05 extra cab.. few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question About to start stereo install in my 05 extra cab.. few questions.

Im about to install the door speakers, amp wiring kit, and amp for the door speakers while im waiting on the sub box to get here from Steve at subthump.com. Few things im not entirely clear on are as follows -

1. Alpine separates for the front doors. Where do i mount the crossovers?
2. Best place in the firewall to pull a 4ga thru.
3. Is there room to mount an alpine mrv-f430 behind the rear seat? Will it get enough air to stay somewhat cool? I stuck my hand back there and I cant tell if it'll fit. Also, since the amp has a built in eq and all that, id like to be able to access it. The sub amp is going on the subthump box (that has the amp space). Are there any good alternate locations for a mid/high amp?
4. How much sound deadening do I really need? Im not entering any SQ comps, i just want it to be very freakin loud (listen to primarily death metal).
5. Where is a good ground spot in the back of the cab?
6. What gauge wire should i use for the door speakers? The amp is 55x4.

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-02-2005, 07:41 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

1. i mounted mine in the kick panel inside the cab in front and below the doors.
2.i ran my 4 gauge under the frame to the vents on the back of the cab and in there.
3. i made a rack that fits under the rear seat for my amp. the amp is on one side and the sub on the other.
4.i have no sound deadening. if it is going to be loud then dont worry about it.
5.i ran a 4 gauge wire back there fraom the battery with the power cable. i put in a stud back there and attached it to that. then attached the amp to the stud inside the cab.--no noise at all this way. remember to ground the amp-cap-and all accessories besides the stereo to one ground. this will eliminate noise as well.
6.i hooked up the stereo to the crossovers with 14 guage speaker wire. then hooked the crossoverrs to the factory speaker wires in the door. that works fine for me. if not run 14 guage throughout. 10 guage to the sub.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

1. 02denali's suggestion
2. Another option I used was a firewall buching From Crutchfield, I use a 1 Awg so I had a little more room for future wires and things. It worth the $10.
If you want a 4awg bushing I have one.
For the 1awg you have to drill a 1 1/8 hole and the 4awg 7/8 hole.
I used the blank space right next to the brake booster. It's almost like the factoy intended a hole. there's a little dimple to get started.
Firewall bushing

3. I mounted my punch 300 behind the seat. Ther's plenty of air. The back wall is slightly curved so the top of the amp touched but I had to put a 1/4 spacer behind the bottom of the amp.You can acces it if you buy or make a part someone found on GMfull size. The guy has a little bracket that attaches to the rear seat hooks and allows the rear seat to fold down when you pull on them. I try to find the link.
Link to rear seat post

4. I had my cab rhino lined than I used dynomat extreme over the top of it. I got some Dynomat off ebay real cheap and I have no life so its all good. The truck is supper quiet now.

5. Cab floor is fine, scrap the paint off for a good connection. Mine is about 12" from the amp.
6. 02 Denali
Old 03-02-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

wish i had pics to show you. not sure if it would work, but maybe you could mount the crossover in the door somewhere. not sure with the constant opening and closing of the door how it would hold up. i guess kick panel is your safest bet. i ran my 4 gauge wire through the rubber boot that the wires from the fuse box go through the firewall. i then wrapped eletricall tape around the wire so there is no abrasion. probably could drill a hole and use a grommet. you should have room to mount your amp behind the seat but it will not be very accessable. i have mine under the seat. i'll include a pic. my cab rattles like crazy. i would dampen the whole rear if i had to do it all over again. to ground mine, i used these stinger ground terminals. i found a place next to the jack. i lifted up the carpet, sanded the paint, and drilled a couple holes unfortunately. i blew my last amp since i didn't have a good ground. so i figure it was worth doing it right and drilling holes. use 12 gauge wire for speakers

this is my old amp. i need to get new pics