STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

01 Stereo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 01 Stereo replacement

My 2001 has had an aftermarket Kenwood head unit in it for probably 15years, a few months ago it decided to take a dump. All the speakers are stock, and I don't plan on changing them unless there are problems with them. What's a decent quality head unit that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'm guessing what I'd want in a stereo unit is pretty standard these days. USB/Pandora capabilities, etc... I don't need anything fancy. Just tunes, I'm also way out of the loop on this stuff lol. Let me know what you have or recommend.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
My 2001 has had an aftermarket Kenwood head unit in it for probably 15years, a few months ago it decided to take a dump. All the speakers are stock, and I don't plan on changing them unless there are problems with them. What's a decent quality head unit that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'm guessing what I'd want in a stereo unit is pretty standard these days. USB/Pandora capabilities, etc... I don't need anything fancy. Just tunes, I'm also way out of the loop on this stuff lol. Let me know what you have or recommend.
Any name brand radio is ok. People have preferences and I tend to lean towards Clarion but I've had Pioneer and Sony in the past. All have been fine.

My current radio is a Clarion CZ series. Simple and does the job. It's single disk, single din unit.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:14 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

I've always heard good things about Clarion. I had Alpine stuff in another truck as well as Pioneer and have had no complaints about any of them. I was leaning toward a Pioneer unit but I'll check out the clarion as well.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

I have had JVC and Clairion head units in the recent past. I found the JVC's UI to be lacking and un-intuitive. Sound quality and features were good though. The Clarion was an all around nice unit other than the touch screen sensitivity. I've had a 1.5 din Alpine in my 2000 truck since a few months after I bought it new and it has been bullet-proof with the exception of the rubber ring around the volume **** that deteriorated a year or so ago.
I would not hesitate to try any of the brand name upper end units. Even the brand name base models can be 'get what you pay for' quality. It really comes down to what brand has the features you want as some still cater to Android or Apple on smart phone integration.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:22 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Wally World had a Pioneer on sale for a pretty good amount off what it originally cost. I'll upgrade the factory speakers in due time but for now it was nice to sit in the driveway and let the truck idle and have tunes AND air conditioning I haven't had a radio all this year and I haven't had A/C for almost 2. The truck only got driven during hunting season and I didn't need it then so it's never been a priority to fix. Real damn nice to have it again.

Next up will be the frontend rebuild since I saw the drivers side front hub has a mile of slack and the passenger side has a half mile. What I found the strangest is that at no point have the hubs made a single sound... but they're definitely shot. All the ball joints have at least a little movement in them so it's getting all new Moog Problem Solver parts and new brakes... none of it has been touched since 01 and it's got about 115K on it... I'd say it's time. The tires will last a while yet but it'll probably end up with a fresh set by the end of the year. I'm just looking forward to driving the ol girl on a regular basis!
Old 07-03-2017, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Do yourself a favor and replace the control arms instead of beating the balljoints out.

I've done it 2x now and it's just easier. **** the cost.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:32 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

They are the riveted in ball joints... even better
Old 07-03-2017, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
They are the riveted in ball joints... even better

Yea. Easy decision IMO.