STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

horn wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 06:26 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts
Default horn wiring

as a pretense, I'm electrically challenged...

earlier this week someone pulled out in front of me. I don't know how I missed them. I slammed on my horn and immediately lost all of my road rage due to embarrassment. my big truck sounds like a moped. I got to work, and ordered a set of refurbished Delco Remy 4 note horns from an old Cadillac. you know...back when they made a man's horn.

now I gotta wire these things in. this set of horns is 4 separate horns with the ACDF notes when sounded together makes that authentic train note.

do I need to run a relay? do I need multiple relays? Can anyone dummy it down for an electrically challenged person? I absolutely HATE wiring.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

One 40 amp relay will work fine for all 4 horns.
Im currently chasing down a electrical peob in my truck.
Something os draining my battery to almost zero and i have no power to any accesorie in the cab.
If i can get thos solved before you melt down your horn circut, i can swing by and setup the relay for ya.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:53 AM

doesn't the truck have an OEM relay for the horns? can I just stick a 40 amp in there and splice 2 horns into each side of the OEM harness?
Old 07-14-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ezdaar
One 40 amp relay will work fine for all 4 horns.
Im currently chasing down a electrical peob in my truck.
Something os draining my battery to almost zero and i have no power to any accesorie in the cab.
If i can get thos solved before you melt down your horn circut, i can swing by and setup the relay for ya.

and check your abs module..l've heard of abs modules that will not turn off after a truck is shut down and it drives people crazy trying to track it down. you should be able to unplug the wires from the module and still drive it (without the function of abs)
Old 07-14-2017, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got it fixed, i previously removed the geound in attempt to reset the bcm breakers, didnt work.
So last night i pulled everything off the batt and charged it for 20 mins while i pulled absolutly everything from the under hood fuse box.
Found retarded corrosion on my positive terminals along with numerous fuses that were just disgusting.
Blasted everything with elec contact cleaner and ran a file across all the fuse legs.
Got everything back in and the truck fired off like a ******* rocket!
Just a tappy tap of the key and the starter spun the engine with a vengence!
Somfar all is working and batt is holding a charge.

Stupid gm tying in so many systems into one circut, its just spoon fed retarded.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
doesn't the truck have an OEM relay for the horns? can I just stick a 40 amp in there and splice 2 horns into each side of the OEM harness?
Wasnt 100% with answer to a oem relay for horn, but after
LAst night. Yess in fact there is a relay for the horn. So just tag your new horns to the oem horn wire and all should be good, you might need a slightly larger fuse.

If your multimeter has a amp draw setting, use it and find out what the horns are pulling during a good long 5 second blast.
If it gets close to maxing the oem relay, add in a aftermarket relay to keep from melting the oem into the fuse box.

For maximum DB i would still use a aftermarket relay with larger wire and make sure they are geounded very well.
Its amazing what a extra cpl volts and amps will do for electronics.

Just think of the kenny bell boost a pump to get the idea.