SRT 10 ext cab at the gym.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by desTRUCKtive
I dont know there is something really wrong with these trucks, I dont think people are being able to run them to their full potential. I really think that they should easily produce high 12's/ or very low low 13's (i mean easily). I really think there is something about the tranny that is hurting the RC. I see numbers all over the place for these trucks.

I think it is the shifter, are these trucks being run on some type of linkage adapter that is putting the shifter a further up on the tranny?

Hitting 3rd gear under WOT is the usual problem with the stock shifter. There are a few solutions to fix this but currently the best one is the X-Metal shifter replacement.

With the stock Hurst shifter there are times that it just wouldnt shift into third gear.

The other problem is traction. Getting a good launch is a bi*ch. You can get a set of 18" DR's that can help, along with slipping the clutch. Although it wont take too long to burn up the stock clutch if you are using it heavlily in your launches. There are several after market clutch setups that people are happy with and handle higher HP/Torque.

I have owend and driven several high performance vehicles in the past and this truck is the most fun to drive, period!
Old 07-17-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see but during an average 1/4 mile run you probley wont even hit third on those things right (well maybe right before the end). Are the gear ratios the same that come on the Viper T-56? I would think. By all of your answers it seems as if, the traction is really what is killing you guys. Interesting. How sweet it would have been if they were AWD. What about the quad cabs are people seeing more consistant times with the automatic?

I also was thinking that you guys were using some type of linkage adapter to move that shifter up some.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:03 AM
Teching In

I see but during an average 1/4 mile run you probley wont even hit third on those things right (well maybe right before the end). Are the gear ratios the same that come on the Viper T-56? I would think. By all of your answers it seems as if, the traction is really what is killing you guys. Interesting. How sweet it would have been if they were AWD. What about the quad cabs are people seeing more consistant times with the automatic?

I also was thinking that you guys were using some type of linkage adapter to move that shifter up some.
You definitely are shifting into third and fourth
I believe a stock 04 (4.10 gears vs 05's have 4.56's) could cross in third gear but may be hitting the rev limiter right about then.

The X-Metal shifter reduces the throw by 33% and produces solid shifts so 2nd to 3rd is no longer a problem.

The tranny has been refitted with a stronger gear set but would have to check to see if the drive ratios are the same as the Viper.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Teching In

I dont know there is something really wrong with these trucks, I dont think people are being able to run them to their full potential. I really think that they should easily produce high 12's/ or very low low 13's (i mean easily). I really think there is something about the tranny that is hurting the RC. I see numbers all over the place for these trucks.
People are easily hitting low 13s in these trucks. And, if this was a dedicated straight line performer, mid to low 12s would be a breeze. Dodge could have dropped a ton of weight in the tuned road racing suspension, the huge sway bars, the leather interior, the 90lbs. ea. wheels and tires, the 15"/14" 4 piston brakes, the 500 watt stereo w/ subwoofer, etc., etc. Smaller wheels would allow for use of drag tires. They also could have gone with the auto in the RC as well as the QC. But, they would be removing the very things that make driving these trucks so much fun. SRT-10s are not just one dimensional. Yes, they perform well at the strip but they are much more than that. They are an all around "G machine" type of performer. They pull 0.9 gs on the skidpad. That's more than 4,600 lbs of lateral acceleration! They are amazing on the mountain roads up here in the Rockies. They also stop as well or better than most sports cars. SRTs can run well at the strip, autocross, road race, top speed or just cruise the street. You have to make some consessions to do so many things so well.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Big Asp
People are easily hitting low 13s in these trucks. And, if this was a dedicated straight line performer, mid to low 12s would be a breeze. Dodge could have dropped a ton of weight in the tuned road racing suspension, the huge sway bars, the leather interior, the 90lbs. ea. wheels and tires, the 15"/14" 4 piston brakes, the 500 watt stereo w/ subwoofer, etc., etc. Smaller wheels would allow for use of drag tires. They also could have gone with the auto in the RC as well as the QC. But, they would be removing the very things that make driving these trucks so much fun. SRT-10s are not just one dimensional. Yes, they perform well at the strip but they are much more than that. They are an all around "G machine" type of performer. They pull 0.9 gs on the skidpad. That's more than 4,600 lbs of lateral acceleration! They are amazing on the mountain roads up here in the Rockies. They also stop as well or better than most sports cars. SRTs can run well at the strip, autocross, road race, top speed or just cruise the street. You have to make some consessions to do so many things so well.
Exactly! Sums it up for me
Old 07-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Teching In

I completely agree!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cmyhemi
Well, I guess I'll be the Dodge guy to step in and give my 2 cents...

First, the auto in the QC has no torque management as someone stated above. It is the 48RE tranny they stole out of the 3/4 ton trucks. It is the old style... ie, not electronicly controlled. The 545RFE is the tranny with torque management and it is behind the HEMI and 4.7L. For the person who said the RC SRT-10 run's 14.1... you are way off... The driver had to be legally retarded to get that time. The SRT-10 is the fastest production truck on the planet. Don't think you are just going to roll up to him and dust him off like nothing. The QC is a little slower due to the heavy weight and the 4 speed auto vs the hurst 6 speed. I say race him and if you beat him, congratulations. Even with the modifications on your truck, you probably still payed less than he did.

Actually im not way off , i have it on tape and there were others on this board who saw it also. Cammin03 was there and quicksilverado was also but im not sure if he saw it or not. Ill be glad to get it up on here if i can, im off of school for a few weeks so ill see what i can do.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

plus im sure he cant drive that well, he might have been feathering it out of the hole, but he still ran it. Not too far off from other numbers im seeing. Im sure its capable of more since the qcab is running better in alot of cases.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was there in person and saw the truck run a 14.1 and that was a single cab.....

They have too much power and not enough transmission and drivetrain.....

2 wheel drive and 500hp and 500 torque doesnt make for a good combonation....

And thats just my .02
Old 08-02-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

The only time I've lined up with a srt-10 it was a qc. He trapped 97.6 mph to my 99 BUT in his defense it was right at 100 degrees and you could cut the humidity with a knife. Full out drag trucks were missing brackets between .3 and .5, no shi7. I was in full street trim, tools, stereo, spare, 22's and all. I didn't want to hurt anything so I knew I would not be as tempted if I had everytihing in the truck. Reason is I had just put new gears and a locker in my truck the night before. So he got me out of the hole pretty good, I had to creep out with a 2.45 60' to his 2 flat (I think). Anyway, I had him within .03 at the 1/8th mile mark and had put right at half a truck on him at the end of the 1/4. It was a great race. They are quick, no slouches that's for sure. I've been thinking of buying a QC SRT myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SRT 10 ext cab at the gym.