Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

Snake for Breakfast? Any takers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:48 AM
KB
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah he was a real little guy, I didn’t see any fangs on him but I’ve heard (maybe Beau can chime in on this one) that baby snakes usually have more potent bites due to not being able to control their venom output.

That turtle would have been a nice lunch had the snake been a few months older LOL.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:05 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KB
Yeah he was a real little guy, I didn’t see any fangs on him but I’ve heard (maybe Beau can chime in on this one) that baby snakes usually have more potent bites due to not being able to control their venom output.

That turtle would have been a nice lunch had the snake been a few months older LOL.

Thats true. They cant control the amount of venom they inject. I know I got bit by a baby ground rattler on my thumb, and my whole damn body was sore for a few days. Guess thats what I get for trying to catch him for the boys.

I dont have a big problem with snakes other than Moccisans, but if ANY snake suprises me, or is in the pond where my kids play, or anywhere else they play, and they see it, its a dead snake. No snake is gonna keep my boys from enjoying theirselves.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
If im not mistaken, the Indigo isnt native of the US.
Actually, "Indigo Snake" is listed as one word and it means basically, a dark blue/black snake found in southern North America and in South America.

I usually only kill cotton mouths, corals, copperheads, etc. Basically only poisonous snakes that are threatening to people.
I wouldn't wanna be bitten by any of those snakes, but I won't normally kill any except the copperhead and not always that one. The reason is, they help keep the rodent population in check. Besides, they're afraid of us and will leave us alone if we do the same. Around here, we don't have copperheads, but up on the farm in W. VA, my dad gets plenty of 'em.

The coral isn't very dangerous due to its reverse fangs. The cottonmouth is only venomous about 40% of the time(no real help unless bitten), but it's often aggressive and the rattler always lets us know he's there. Copperheads... They're tricky little jokers giving warning only by showing themselves and that's too close for comfort! A few yrs ago, we got two at the same time(prolly about to mate) and each was nearly 3' long. Not one to tangle with, so we had to "off-'em" right then. A hawk swooped down and snatched them both right off the stump I laid them on. That was cool to see and totally unexpected.

Originally Posted by StrokerAce03
If I'm not mistaken, it is illegal to kill an Indigo snake; or at least here in Ga. it is.
I think you're right. They were on the "threatened" list and probably still are.

We used to have a bigass King Snake that used to hang around our boat hoist; it was at least 6-7 ft. long. I'm sure it saw its fair share of rattlers.
And ate them! Cool think about the King snake is that it isn't affected by the Rattle snake bite. Good thing too, since the Eastern Diamondback is the largest natural venomous snake in N. America. Also good is, the Indigo is considered the longest. Can't say I really believe that though. I've seen Rattlesnakes all of 8' long.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Actually, "Indigo Snake" is listed as one word and it means basically, a dark blue/black snake found in southern North America and in South America.

I wouldn't wanna be bitten by any of those snakes, but I won't normally kill any except the copperhead and not always that one. The reason is, they help keep the rodent population in check. Besides, they're afraid of us and will leave us alone if we do the same. Around here, we don't have copperheads, but up on the farm in W. VA, my dad gets plenty of 'em.

The coral isn't very dangerous due to its reverse fangs. The cottonmouth is only venomous about 40% of the time(no real help unless bitten), but it's often aggressive and the rattler always lets us know he's there. Copperheads... They're tricky little jokers giving warning only by showing themselves and that's too close for comfort! A few yrs ago, we got two at the same time(prolly about to mate) and each was nearly 3' long. Not one to tangle with, so we had to "off-'em" right then. A hawk swooped down and snatched them both right off the stump I laid them on. That was cool to see and totally unexpected.

I think you're right. They were on the "threatened" list and probably still are.

And ate them! Cool think about the King snake is that it isn't affected by the Rattle snake bite. Good thing too, since the Eastern Diamondback is the largest natural venomous snake in N. America. Also good is, the Indigo is considered the longest. Can't say I really believe that though. I've seen Rattlesnakes all of 8' long.

I dont think that indigos are native of Texas though but like i said, i could be wrong. Ill kill any poisonous snake in my yard. Lets put it that way. I have a 6 year old brother so....

Corals are alos not as dangerous cuz they have an extremely small mouth and they have a hard time getting ahold of an area they can bite. Mainly the only place they can bite is the webbing between fingers and toes.

Ill kill a ******* cottonmouth one way or another. My grandma was chased by one. They are extremely aggressive and i wont put up with that ****!!

Heres the description of the email my dad sent me a while back: (Fritch Texas is up near Amarillo)

This snake was found recently south of Fritch, Texas at an old gas plant. It was close to nine feet in length.

He was caught at the old Turkey Creek Plant which is located just south of the Alibates Turnoff on Highway 136 south of Fritch. This is just a reminder that these creatures are actually out there.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Sexy Party Mod

KB i cant see that snake really well so it could be a copperhead but i cant see its colors.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

I'm no snake expert, but... Being in Texas and considering the size of that snake, it should be a Western Diamondback(but it's quite bright to look at, like the Eastern- Usually Westerns are darker, so I've been told). As large as it is, "experts" commonly say the Eastern is larger, but somehow is only about 8' long. As we can see from that, the Eastern must be larger than 8' when full grown unless the Western is really the larger. The more I look at that whopper, the more I'm thinking it really is an Eastern Diamondback.

A few yrs ago, a small boy was bitten by an Eastern in S. FL. The fang marks were said to be about to 2" apart. That snake must've been well into the 12' plus area, but easily escaped in the ensuing foray to save the boys life. He did survive, after some 10 blood transfusions.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Holy ****! All i know is that its a diamondback. I usually dont stick around to try to sex them and tell their specie..... JFWY