Southern FL, GA, AL, LA, MS, TN, SC, NC,......AR

Knock, Bump, Clunk.... What the Hell?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Knock, Bump, Clunk.... What the Hell?!?!?

Yesterday when I went to leave work I went outside to start up the truck and let it warm up while I was making my rounds and shutting the shop down, When I pulled out of the parking lot I noticed what sounded like a rod knock... I was instantly sick to my stomach and checked all the gagues and killed the truck... engine temp, oil pressure, voltage, trans temp were all good... It changed with RPM too. It sounded like it was coming from down low in the motor so I instantly I think I am hearing a rod about to take a trip through the oil pan. I Started it back up and began the drive home. No lost power, rock solid oil pressure, but the same knock was there... Its about a 30 mile drive home for me, it was there the whole time. I was sweating it hard...

I get to the last red light I come to before leaving town to go to my house and I roll down the windows, kill the music and notice that the sound is gone... WTF!!! I'm thinking this thing's already about to come apart and Its just taking its last breath LOL... I got back out on the Hwy headed towards my house and got in the throttle a bit to pass someone and everything was business as usual... What the hell was I hearing??? I got home and let it idle for a bit and crawled all over and listened and couldnt find a sign of any noise... and it hasnt came back since... I'm stumped as to what it could have been...

The motor has got about 120K on it and has broken everything from the flexplate back numerous times but I've never had a moment's problem from the motor... she still puts people in their place almost daily. I'm absolutely lost on this one.... is it time to start building a motor?? I was looking to get about 150K out of her before I looked at that, and even then the motor is supposed to be going in another truck...

Sorry for the long post, I've just been thinking about this **** non-stop and its got me puzzled.

Cliff notes: Heard knocking sound on the way home from work, lasted for about 20 miles... no loss of engine vital signs, sounds mysteriously goes away... what the FoKKK
Old 02-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Early April fools joke your engine is playing on you?
Old 02-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

sooooo..... nothing???
Old 02-17-2008, 12:43 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

You know now that you are going to be hyper-sensitive and hear all kinds of things. What can you do but keep an eye on your gauges and listen?
Old 02-17-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it wasn't your header/y-pipe bangin on the frame was it?
if my y-pipe fitting on the passenger side isn't put on just right it will knock on the frame and make you think something is ready to blow up at any time.....then it will often be quite for large periods of time.
Just something i'd check before preparing for the worst.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil04
it wasn't your header/y-pipe bangin on the frame was it?
if my y-pipe fitting on the passenger side isn't put on just right it will knock on the frame and make you think something is ready to blow up at any time.....then it will often be quite for large periods of time.
Just something i'd check before preparing for the worst.
They have been on for almost 2 years now and have never done it... ?? Plus they are welded so I dont think they will move much. It wasnt a "tinny" sound, it was identical to every knocking rod I have ever heard in my life... I was thinking about a spun bearing too...
Old 02-17-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
They have been on for almost 2 years now and have never done it... ?? Plus they are welded so I dont think they will move much. It wasnt a "tinny" sound, it was identical to every knocking rod I have ever heard in my life... I was thinking about a spun bearing too...
well not sure then man,i had mine do it and i really thought **** was breaking like the crap was loud and was making vibrations in the floor etc...but sounds like yours should be on there good.
IDK, i guess hope for the best.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:05 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by trever1t
You know now that you are going to be hyper-sensitive and hear all kinds of things. What can you do but keep an eye on your gauges and listen?
I'm already pretty much hyper-sensitive about the noises it makes. I know every single clunk, squeak, rattle, and noise it makes. Its going on 9 years old this year... she's had some use. This was different... but after driving it today and having no issues I feel a little better. I always watch my gauges like a hawk anyway... its habit after riding motorcycles that are 2 and 3 times my age LOL... the only gauge on either of them are oil pressure and the Triumph has a 2" tach as well... who needs a speedo, I count stripes...
Old 02-17-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im with you on the noise thing about every rattle it makes and so on.

You think to check and make sure somethign doesnt come out when you drain your oil? Might be somethign to try. Early oil change never hurt nobody.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:20 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by onebadrubi
Im with you on the noise thing about every rattle it makes and so on.

You think to check and make sure somethign doesnt come out when you drain your oil? Might be somethign to try. Early oil change never hurt nobody.
And cut the filter open.

Quick Reply: Knock, Bump, Clunk.... What the Hell?!?!?