Site Suggestions Site Suggestions & Comments

Telling people to use the search button

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telling people to use the search button

The site is getting really bad about people asking the same questions over and over again. Can we get any help from the members, Mods and Admin to help tell people to use the search button then lock the thread if it is a thread that they know has been ask many times before. The reason I ask to lock the thread is every time I tell some to do a search there are members that will keep chiming in on answering the thread. I under stand that it can be hard to tell which questions are repeats and which are not. Do to the multiple threads about the same thing it is making the search results many pages deep.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very true man. Everyday the same thing about e-fans, tb bypass, intakes, exhaust diameters, tunes, I could go on forever but the locking thing would require more mods too. That is an extreme load on the few guys that frequent the site often enough. I have been on here ALOT since I got my new job back in May since I practically dont do **** and I couldnt even begin to count how many times a subject is repeated.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:39 AM
Launching!

but new people come to the site all the time and they should get to express their veiws. i would rather have alot to choose from in a search.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a search button J/K. It seems like a lot of things do get repeated. I always do a search first but can't always find what I am looking for. When most people post a question it is specific to their setup, so searching other peoples answers to a different setup isn't always helpful. But all those "which is the best muffler" and "Will my MPG go down if I go from 3.23 to 4.56?" are kinda of funny. Mufflers are personality dependent and YES!
Old 11-29-2005, 04:41 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont mind the repeat questions. it does a couple of things. it give the guys that are just geting started a chance to interact with the rest of us and it give the guys that have been around a little while a chance to answer some of the easy questions. if i see a question that is asked often i just dont go into that thread, how hard is that.

it seems like some members just love to sit there with the "repost" or "got search" sugestions when they could just not go into that thread at all.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hasn't there been a thread on this already?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Truck addict

look at it this way. how many times have you seen a magazine (hotrod) (superchevy), etc, build the small block 350. it has been covered front to back so many times that its mind boggling. why do they keep doing it? new people are always getting into this hobby and might not know the tips and tricks. plus i don't mind seeing the occasional which exhaust is better or which intake is flowing better. every now and then there might be something new that i didn't know or what was once good to do is now bad or not advised.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8
i dont mind the repeat questions. it does a couple of things. it give the guys that are just geting started a chance to interact with the rest of us and it give the guys that have been around a little while a chance to answer some of the easy questions. if i see a question that is asked often i just dont go into that thread, how hard is that.

it seems like some members just love to sit there with the "repost" or "got search" sugestions when they could just not go into that thread at all.
I dont mind re post either.. That way when you do use teh search button it gives you more choices and answers..
Old 11-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do a search on efans you will see HOURS worth of posts and about the same thing

I dont mind helping people out and it does get noobs involved but damn some of the questoins they ask are general questions that could be solved by a simple search.

I generally dont answer those type of threads unless someone says something that is wrong I dont want the person to get steered into the wrong direction.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there were no reposts there would be no forum. Seriously, there is very little new here asked on a daily basis.

If you really want to be able to send a newbie looking for info, we need to construct FAQs so we're not sending them off the cliff, we're sending them somewhere constructive. That's the responsible thing to do.

Another reason this works is that it gets some of us off our asses and constructing something of value. People come and go all the time, and sometimes they leave without us really getting the benefit of their experience. Why not harness it while they're here?

If you want a good example of how this works, go to LS1Tech and see Jerami's FAQs....

Super FAQ
Exhaust/Induction
Cam Guide

There's no reason why we can't have some truck-specific FAQ, especially with all the knowledge residing here.

Quick Reply: Telling people to use the search button